evaporation question

aztec reef

true, but i bet it's because she's not replenishing the evaporated water daily in the same amounts that she should..

twogirls

First off, I am a SHE.
Second, It's 1-2 gallons every 2 days depending on the temperature in my home. I try to make sure that I get it topped off every day, but sometimes I forget and it doesn't get done, so then I do it every other. I have a husband, 2 kids, a house, daycare children, and 2 fish tanks, I get a little busy and forget from time to time.
And I am trying to make sure that I am doing it correctly which is why I started this thread to begin with.

michaeltx

Dont take anything personally we all have problems and situations that come up that keep us from doing what we NEED to do to do it right.
when was the last time the refractometer was calibrated out of ciouriousity.
here is just an overveiw .
its a 72 gallon tank with a 15 gallon sump. evaporation is 1-2 gallons between topoffs. with a mark on the sump for topping off level. it goes from 1.025-.26 to a low of about 1.023 tank temp is 80 degrees with little to no flucuations. there is little to no salt creep. the testing is done randomly through the day with a ATC refractometer. skimmer salinity is 1.013 with about 1/4 cup a month
other equipment
Seaclone protein skimmer
maxi jet 900 powerhead
18 gallon sump/fug. (actually holds 15 g. water)
overflow and return pump (gx 4100)
heater
72 gallon tank, hood, and stand.
100 or more pound of live rock

twogirls

recalibrated it today to make sure that wasn't the problem.
I am using coralife brand of salt right now.
I do water changes at least once a week. (nitrates are up a bit)

michaeltx

when you do a water change how do you get the water ready and mixed?
just trying to cover everything to see if we can find something its a strange thing to be happening.
Mike

twogirls

I hand mix it in 5 gallon buckets early in the day and then throughout the day I mix it to make sure that it is all disolved. I then change the water at night just before the lights turn off.

michaeltx

that may be where the problem is.
when ever you mix water it needs to be airated for 24 hours atleast to get everything mixed up right and oxygenated. even though it will look completely disolved it may not be and you wont get accurate readings. it also needs to be heated while you are doing this.
if you water change water is fully mixed and airated once you add it to the tank at 1.026 it can start to fall sense its still mixing into the water.
do you heat the top off water before adding it to the tank.
I usually keep mine going for a day and a half to be sure everything matches perfectly before I start.
Mike

Originally Posted by twogirls
I do water changes at least once a week. (nitrates are up a bit)
This is gonna sound like a stupid question, but when you do water changes, it is with mixed salt water right? What is the reading for the saltwater you are putting in.
Please dont take that question the wrong way, just hunting for a solution.

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
when you do a water change how do you get the water ready and mixed?
just trying to cover everything to see if we can find something its a strange thing to be happening.
Mike
beat me to it......
disreguard above post..

ophiura

Also a possible stupid question but you are sure that your husband is not also adding top off water?
I hate to be obvious but there are only a few possibilities.
Primarily you may be losing more saltwater than from evaporation alone, or you are topping of much more than you lose. Do you have a fill line on your sump that you always fill to?
As also covered:
1) Measurement device is wrong (simply double check at LFS)
2) More freshwater is being added than realized - either from other people adding it, stuck float switch, etc
3) More saltwater is being removed than realized and not replaced with saltwater...e.g. a small leak leading you to top off more than you are losing from evaporation alone.
Hate to say it, but I almost never aerate and mix saltwater for more than 24hours and I have never had a problem like this. It is probably better, but I am lucky if I get motivated to do a water change so I'll take a few hours of mixing if I am lucky. For years I kept a tank, filled the bucket in the bathtub, swirled some salt into it, and was fine. Was it wise? no, and I don't recommend it. But I don't necessarily think it will result in stuff like this.
I think either the refractometer is broken...get it checked elsewhere. Or you are just adding far more freshwater than you need to replace water from evaporation. Otherwise, I'm stumped. If only you had some other water nearby - a fill line leak, a heat exchanger leak...but a stand alone system?...

aztec reef

I hate to be the Black sheep
but IMO another thing is that she' is not aerating the water with a POWERHEAD in it.. It's Not going to make a difference wether she lets the water sit for a couple hours or 24hrs, The point is Aslong as it is Aerated with a POWERHEAD and it has reached the right salinity/temp before putting it in the tank.
You need circulation on that bucket so that the water gets Oxygenated and so that it's not so acidic..and so that it reaches equalibrium..

ophiura

Reading back on this, actually...the change is not all that dramatic. About 1.025 to 1.023 within the week? Doesn't even need to be water changes. That, IMO, is just adding more top off than is needed or maybe a few mixing issues.
It is no big deal. First get a fill line established if you don't already. Then test the specific gravity more regularly and add fresh or saltwater as needed to keep stable.

aztec reef

I also think that water changes don't have a major play on this nor the Refractometer. I think it mostly has to do with the "lack of Consistency".
There seems to be problems with monitoring/knowing the amount of evaporated water being replenished daily ..