Evaporative Airflow for cooling?

handbanana

I have a open top wooden canopy with two holes cut into each end. I plan on putting Computer Fans in there for cooling. A few Questions about airflow though. Should the fans point in towards the water surface or draw heat out from the water surface? Heres a pic if it helps.

scsinet

I always prefer to have my fans push air into the canopy.
The reason why is that unless the canopy is very tightly sealed, the air will make it's way out of the canopy wherever it can.. cracks around doors, open back, etc, and IMO the primary goal is air circulation and exchange, which fans in more or less any orientation will produce.
Where it makes a difference is the fans. Fans pulling air out pull salty spray and water vapor with them, which doesn't do the fans any good. At least pushing air in, the fans are handling room air rather than the corrosive saltwater filled air.

handbanana

Great Advice, hadnt thought about the corrosion factor. Ill point them in so the cool air blows in and the hot air will just blow upwards. Thanks for the Quick Response! One more quickie, Is it ok to run two fans in parellel off one plug? or should they be in series? Im useing an adapter cut off of something that ran 12 vdc. one of those big black plug boxes. Thanks again in advance

joncat24

As long as the plug has enough current it will work. I am running 3 computer fans off of one wall wart with no problems.

scsinet

Originally Posted by Handbanana
http:///forum/post/3193730
Great Advice, hadnt thought about the corrosion factor. Ill point them in so the cool air blows in and the hot air will just blow upwards. Thanks for the Quick Response! One more quickie, Is it ok to run two fans in parellel off one plug? or should they be in series? Im useing an adapter cut off of something that ran 12 vdc. one of those big black plug boxes. Thanks again in advance
You need to add the current flow of the fans and compare it to the output of the power supplies. Luckily most fans include the current rating stamped right on the fan. 1 amp = 1000ma. So two fans, one rated at 200ma and one rated at .85 amps = 1050ma.
The power supply must exceed the total current draw of the fans.