Even I can't believe this one

uneverno

That's a thorny issue.
Personally, I don't see why anyone employed in this country shouldn't be allowed to buy into the system.
One of the reasons it's attractive to hire illegals in the first place is that already legally mandated benefits can be circumvented without penalty. That makes not only the immigrants, but also their employers illegal.
Crime is crime after all.
It makes sense to provide an alternative to the über-expensive emergency room. The only other option is to go with the status quo, which is bankrupting our hospitals.
What I really don't understand is why existing law simply isn't enforced. The only thing I can come up with is that major campaign contributors on both sides of the aisle don't want it to be.

uneverno

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3145458
What percentage of the voters in their district do you suppose have Spanish sir names

What does that have to do with anything?
I live in Honda's district. The percentage of VietNamese surnames is higher than the percentage of Spanish ones here.
Don't get what you're driving at. %%

uneverno

What percentage of the voters in their district do you suppose have Spanish sir names

I live in Honda's district. Of the minorities, the percentage of VietNamese surnames is far higher than the percentage of Spanish ones here.
Don't get what you're driving at. %%

uneverno

What does that
have to do with anything?
I live in Honda's district. Of the minorities, the percentage of VietNamese surnames is far higher than the percentage of Spanish ones here.
I don't get what you're driving at.

uneverno

What does that
have to do with anything?
I live in Honda's district. By far the highest percentage of "non-white" voters here have Asian (VietNamese and Chinese) surnames.
I don't get what you're driving at. %%

uneverno

I live in Honda's district. By far the highest percentage of "non-white" voters here have Asian (Viet-Namese and Chinese) surnames.
Which Spanish are you talking about? Spain, Argentina, Colombia, Mexico, the Phillipines?

uneverno

What does that
have to do with anything? California itself is a Spanish name. As is Arizona, Colorado, Montana and Nevada.
I live in Honda's district. By far the highest percentage of "non-white" voters here have Asian (Viet-Namese, Korean and Chinese) surnames.
Which Spanish are you talking about? Spain's, Argentina's, Colombia's, Mexico's, Nicaragua's, the Phillipines'?
I don't get what you're driving at. %%

uneverno

What does that
have to do with anything? California itself is a Spanish name. As is Arizona, Colorado, Montana, Texas and Nevada.
I live in Honda's district. By far the highest percentage of "non-white" voters here have Asian (Viet-Namese, Korean and Chinese) surnames.
Which Spanish are you talking about? Spain's, Argentina's, Colombia's, Mexico's, Nicaragua's, the Phillipines'?

beazalbob69

Most people dont realise that many illegal's have social security cards and do contribute to S.S. and pay taxes. Their S.S. #'s are not real but they still pay taxes so I think it is only fair that they should be covered also.
Also I think many people forget this country was built by immigrants and this country is far from overpopulated so why are we closing the borders?
My wife is from another country and you would not believe what we had to go through and are still going through just so she can live here.
So like most things there are 2 sides to every arguement. Just my .02

reefraff

Originally Posted by uneverno
http:///forum/post/3145537
What does that
have to do with anything? California itself is a Spanish name. As is Arizona, Colorado, Montana, Texas and Nevada.

Anyone pushing that provision that doesn't have a whole lot of voters in their district that are either naturalized citizens or first generation American from or who's parents are from south of the border, hence the spanish sir names, would be insane. There are Hispanic illegals here from more than just Mexico.

reefraff

Originally Posted by beazalbob69
http:///forum/post/3145630
Most people dont realise that many illegal's have social security cards and do contribute to S.S. and pay taxes. Their S.S. #'s are not real but they still pay taxes so I think it is only fair that they should be covered also.
Also I think many people forget this country was built by immigrants and this country is far from overpopulated so why are we closing the borders?
My wife is from another country and you would not believe what we had to go through and are still going through just so she can live here.
So like most things there are 2 sides to every arguement. Just my .02
So if I break into your vacation house and have the utilities put in my name I can just hang out as long as I want with no problems

As far as those who steal S.S # do you have any idea what it costs in man hours to correct the records once the fraud is discovered? What about the person who's S.S. number is stolen? Yeah, what a great deal. We can't afford to sustain our own welfare system, let alone take on that of other countries.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by uneverno
http:///forum/post/3145537
What does that

The point would be, they are supporting it in an effart to get votes from the Hispanic population...
btw bionic, I don't know why this bothers you, because before the "you lie" outburst, they were going to be covered... And it isn't as if they don't get free medical care now...

uneverno

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/3145689
The point would be, they are supporting it in an effart to get votes from the Hispanic population...
Except that the question was leading and appears to have been asked of my district's demographics. I was just trying to set the record straight:
The majority here is white (generally English/Scottish) and the largest Minorities are Asian (Viet-Namese, Chinese and Korean.) The Hispanics living here are generally legal. Income level is among the highest in the nation and therefore so are housing prices, making the district, for the most part, too expensive for illegals to live in.
As a general statement, it may have been fair to make, except that the article didn't list the other 29 signatories to the letter so a potentially faulty generalization appears to have been drawn based on the 1 representative who was featured.
Additionally, the article specifies that the main goal of the letter is to allow legal immigrants who have been here less than 5 years access to a public option, should that actually occur, because they are currently barred from doing so even though they'd pay for it.
Lastly, one does have to consider the source. The (DC) Times is a conservative publication, and so biases its reporting accordingly, just like liberal publications do.

reefraff

Wha-aaaaaaaait a minute!!!!!
You saying you doubt the validity of the article because it is from a Conservative publication? There are several other sources out there that reported the same thing.
And my comment, while made mostly in jest is a perfectly legitimate question. On the other hand when I was growing up in the 92707 zip code which is heavily hispanic most of my "Mexican" friends hated "wet backs" like you wouldn't believe. I think a lot of these stupid politicians are assuming their hispanic constituents are a lot more pro illegal than they really are.
In any case it just amazes me that we live in a age when our government wants to reward criminal behavior.

hlcroghan

I issue out state benefits for a living. Let me set some facts straight. Illegal immigrants CANNOT receive benefits except for a pregnant woman, who can receive only emergency medical to cover her delivery of her child, which will be a US citizen and has the same rights as you and I. The issue about the 5 years thing is that once a legal permanent resident has reached 5 years of residency they may then receive benefits, but they are also then eligible to apply for citizenship. They have a *** and also pay taxes when they work. This is extremely expensive (the resident card along is a couple hundred dollars) and any amount of legal issues such as a felony or DUI will prevent you from getting naturalized. These are federal laws so please don't start saying how leftist I am or that I'm too soft on immigrants

reefraff

Originally Posted by hlcroghan
http:///forum/post/3145985
I issue out state benefits for a living. Let me set some facts straight. Illegal immigrants CANNOT receive benefits except for a pregnant woman, who can receive only emergency medical to cover her delivery of her child, which will be a US citizen and has the same rights as you and I.
Or if they show up at a emergency room where they cannot refuse to treat you.

hlcroghan

You are correct. They would receive treatment but that state would not pay for medical insurance for them. It may end up paying for that treatment if the person did not pay for it. A lot of them do actually. That would be a deterrent for them becoming citizens. I was simply stating that the government does not pay for health insurance for illegal immigrants, with the exception of a pregnant woman and ( I did not mention this before) if their income is low enough, parents of American citizens can receive emergency medical if their income is low enough, which means if they are dying the medical could cover the treatment necessary to save their life.

snakeblitz33

1. Crime is what made this country great. A: 50 MILLION Americans (or 1/6th) illegally smoke or use marijuana in their daily lives. Think of how much cash floats around because of this? Think about how much money is in drugs! B: During the prohibition, many people made their fortunes distilling their own alcohol. For example: THE KENNEDY's. C: Price Fixing - big businesses set prices across the board so that their profits will increase while taking money away from honest paying citizens. D: Big Business/monopolys - the government doesn't care as long as they keep lining their pockets.
2. Who wants a bunch of sick people walking around? If you went to another county- lost your wallet and passport and you broke your leg and went to the hospital - would you like to hear "oh, I'm sorry, you don't live here, we can't treat you." (in their language or English)????? dare you to say yes. I dare you.