Ever read what is on the side of a bag of ceramic frag plugs?

stdreb27

So I bought for the first time frag plugs, instead of just bumming them off people. And read the bag. It says, only add one frag plug per gallon per week to your tank. LOL Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

so....if u have a 30 gallon tank then you can add 30 plugs in 1 week...most people dont usually exceed like 30 plugs in any tank, unless its a huge frag tank...sorry, i just dont see what the point of your thread was.

michaeltx

they are fresh made plugs and have not went through the soaking process yet. if to many are added all at the same time it can play havoc on your PH kinda like home made rock.
Mike

shaunalynna

I read that myself on the bag I bought when I got it a while back. I to had wondered what that meant and why. Thanks for the answer and like you said no one usually adds that many to there tank but good to know incase it ever did happen!

makai

ceramic or agrocrete... i think you are confusing the two.
From a well know plug makers FAQ page:
Do your ceramic coral mounts require any curing or special handling?

No, ceramic does not require any curing or special handling. Our ceramic coral mounts are fired in a kiln at nearly 2000 degrees and are completely inert.
How many Aragocrete Plugs/Discs can I add to my system at one time?

The question of what is safe to add to a system at one time is nearly impossible to answer as the answer depends on too many different factors. Water chemistry like pH and Alkalinity as well as water volume and even water movement will have an effect on how a given number of plugs and discs effect your system.
The reason for a limit is that any aragocrete product will "cure" in water for a very long time (see above), this curing process releases alot of calcium into the water that can have an effect on your water chemistry. Calcium is usually concidered a good thing to add but the rate that calcium is added is not easily determined and can spike enexpectedly, causing potential problems. Our testing has shown that the bulk of the curing process is complete in the first 30 days so we cure everything in water for at least 30 days before shipping.
We have done some testing and have determined that one plug or disc per gallon of water per week should be safe to add to any healthy working system. We also always recommend that you watch your water chemistry during that week and be prepared for a water change or two to correct any issues that might occur.
Also, we always recommend that you continue the curing process by storing your new plugs/discs in a bucket of fresh water, change the water few days, and pull from the bucket as you need to use your plugs and discs.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2782825
It clearly said ceramic frag plug on the bag.
what kind are they (who makes them)
the manufacturer may just stamp the same warning on all their disks and plugs to eliminate any liabilities.
I know for aragacrete plugs you have to be carefull as the lime in the crete can skew parameters if you add too many uncured plugs.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2781182
So I bought for the first time frag plugs, instead of just bumming them off people. And read the bag. It says, only add one frag plug per gallon per week to your tank. LOL Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
It's a "General surgeon's warning" against being a reefaholic!

stdreb27

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2782887
what kind are they (who makes them)
the manufacturer may just stamp the same warning on all their disks and plugs to eliminate any liabilities.
I know for aragacrete plugs you have to be carefull as the lime in the crete can skew parameters if you add too many uncured plugs.
I don't know I already tossed the bag. I don't know how they make ceramics, but it definately looks like it was poured into a mold, because there are bubbles and folds.