Everything Dead

watson3

Seriously..Thats like saying that when a bad storm makes everything cloudy, for a week or so, everything that doesnt get light dies..Seriously..Would you die from a week without sun..No....

judyk

Okay. I say when you contact Solaris to return the lights, tell them what happened and see if they will take responsibility for the tank failure. They might want to help since they are getting all this bad publicity on their product. Which by their failure rate, isn't so good.

stimpy4242

Yeah, but i don't survive from photosynthesis, so that is a very dumb question. Would i survive a week without food and water...probably not...certainly possible, but unlikely. So seeing as an anemone uses photosynthesis to produce its food...it could die without light...take one away from light for a short period of time it curls up and become tiny...take a mushroom away from light for a short amount of time it shrivels up like at night...six days of that can cause death...less even. In reference to how did a light do that...this is how...if you want to provide other reason please do, but don't continue to use them when I offer evidence disproving them. I am looking for someone to come up with an idea that is good. For instance the heater turning off four five days during the winter time when the house is set at 58 while I was away...but i disproved it because the heater is on battery backup and no reported outages...so you would have to give up that idea...so please tell me what else could have caused this...I have no pets and no one else is in my house.

stimpy4242

Originally Posted by JudyK
Okay. I say when you contact Solaris to return the lights, tell them what happened and see if they will take responsibility for the tank failure. They might want to help since they are getting all this bad publicity on their product. Which by their failure rate, isn't so good.

Solaris did offer today to help reimburse the livestock loss. But while I am relieved of some of the financial burden of this loss, I am still looking for people to disprove me about the light. I am just playing the devils advocate here, but it is the only gripping answer at this time.

viper_930

No light for 5 days will not kill a healthy anemone. Photosynthesis is not the only way for them to get food. Anemones can live weeks, even months without any light at all.
I'm sorry though, as I do not have a different explanation for the crash.

shogun323

Wow this thread certainly has taken a turn. Glad Solaris offered to help reimburse the livestock. Are you going to still use their product or are you through?

viper_930

Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, but what has been going wrong with the Solaris? I would think they'd be pretty well made for that kind of money.

stimpy4242

I would have thought so too, but apparently I am not the only person to have problems with the solaris light...i do think I am the only person to have had three lights turn up bad and I am currently waiting on the fourth. I am excited to use their product in the theory, but in practice it has not provided what it claims.

catawaba

Any new cleaning/household chemicals used in the area?
Did you get a new lotion/shampoo/laundry detergent?
New fish food package or type?

catawaba

Well, I know it wasn't the light or the anemone.
I recently lost a 240g reef that was up for over 4 years, so I feel your pain.
(BTW--the BTA's all SURVIVED)
Still unexplained and I was only gone for 48 hours....no others living in house, have a GFI, grounding probe, etc etc etc.
How about 'old tank syndrome'....do you do regular water changes?
I know you're not a newbie, but sometimes people 'slack off'
I do think you can 're-cure' the live rock and be fine with it.
By the way, if you want other ideas/opinions/help, I think you should tone down the backlash. People are just trying to help. Remember, you posted the thread asking for ideas/help.
Just my 0.02

stimpy4242

I am upset and it is certainly coming out in what I type, but I am tired of people suggesting things that I have already explained...or someone not reading the post and replying without that knowledge...now watson3 says don't bother because they assume I am not interested in a solution..I am interested in a solution to what happened...but i am going to debate every point that I had in control...I am a freak and I made sure everything was backed up just in case...no new products, no new food no new detergent or laundry stuff...You didn't lose your reef catawaba...you lost some of it...I lost everything in it, nothing has survived...even all the bristleworms were floating at the top or laying dead on the bottom...God rid of those suckers didn't I?!?!? Bottom line is I am trying to find another possible cause for this issue...why? Because I want to believe the 2500 dollars I spend on lights that don't work will be worth it when they do...I want to know this was caused by something else not the light...I am currently awaiting my fourth solaris light...that is a lot of issues for a product worth so much...so other suggestions please...

watson3

Originally Posted by stimpy4242
...I am a freak stuff...You didn't lose your reef catawaba...you lost some of it... Because I want to believe the 2500 dollars I spend on lights that don't work will be worth it when they do...

Maybe you should tell us one more time how much you paid for these lights, and then kept using them...And then blame them for crashing your tank that you have yet to give detailed specifics on..

catawaba

Good luck then.
I lost all fish/inverts/corals except a couple BTAs.
IMO I lost the reef.
Recured the rock and started from day 1.
Have a nice day.

1journeyman

Stimpy, I believe part of your assumption possible. An anemone's death could certainly start a destructive chain of events.
As I posted, however, I know for a fact an anemone can go for weeks without any light. My BTA was so far up under a rock you needed a flashlight to see it. It was there for a little over 4 weeks before it climbed out.
Do you have sponge covers on your powerheads? If not, then my best theory I have so far is one of your anemones decided it didn't like where it was and climbed up the glass into a powerhead.
Regardless, I am sorry for your loss.

catawaba

You aren't looking for an answer. You're looking for a debate.
There are MANY variables that we cannot control. Stop blaming the lights and the anemone and chalk it up to experience.
Bigger/Newer isn't always better.
You can't just throw money at a tank and assume it will be fine. You are the reefkeeper so you get to take responsibility.
You never mentioned your husbandry with water changes. Maybe it was old tank syndrome that finally caught up with you.

gwh57

Originally Posted by Catawaba
You aren't looking for an answer. You're looking for a debate.
There are MANY variables that we cannot control. Stop blaming the lights and the anemone and chalk it up to experience.
Bigger/Newer isn't always better.
You can't just throw money at a tank and assume it will be fine. You are the reefkeeper so you get to take responsibility.
You never mentioned your husbandry with water changes. Maybe it was old tank syndrome that finally caught up with you.
Be carefull the mod will jerk your post like they did mine. :notsure: