Everything turning RED??

dmax

Why are my powerheads and the tops of my live rock turning red?
The only thing I can think of would be bulbs??
3-150watt MH
Thanks for the help

meowzer

On the PH it looks hard.....is it hard on hte rocks too....of so it's coraline...good stuff..
I have pink, green and purple...no red though..

dmax

That was fast...thanks. It is hard, I didnt know that coraline would grow red. Thanks alot i was freakin out.

dmax

I have 4-Korila 4s in the display with two mag 9.5 for the ruturn from the sump.???

wangotango

If it was cyano the sandbed would probably be covered too. On other surfaces you would be able to wipe it off with a finger.
If it's hard and crusty then it's coraline (which has many shades).
-Justin

V

vince-1961

If it's cyanobacter, it's bad. is caused by excess nutrients and phosphates. Cynao comes off easily.. get rid of it by vacuuming it out during water changes and cutting down on nutrients and phosphates.
If it's hard and crusty and won't vacuum off or blow off, it's coralline algae. Yea!

flower

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3129194
On the PH it looks hard.....is it hard on hte rocks too....of so it's coraline...good stuff..
I have pink, green and purple...no red though..

Coraline algae all right...I have a tank full of red...it starts out glow in the dark orange under the moonlights, then turns red....here is a picture
I alo have purple and pink, but red seems to outgrow the others

flower

Originally Posted by windlasher
http:///forum/post/3129930
ill trade you a purple rock for some red?

I don't want to take my tank apart...all it takes is a tiny spot...red seems to overtake everything. I can tell you how mine got all over...
I have a #1 korlia power head pointed at my cave to make sure it had flow...my goldenheaded sand sifting goby had a habbit of getting sand and swimming with it...he dropped sand onto the power head which sand blasted a rock that had red coraline on it. Next thing I know... have red coraline on everything.

V

vince-1961

a year ago I paid an outrageous price for a small piece of LR at a LFS just b/c it had blue coralline algae. wanted to seed my tank with blue. The blue disappeared.
Also had some orange, but it too disappeared. Now I got pink. Pink, pink and more pink, Starting to get some dark red thought.
Sure wish the blue had taken off though. That would've been so cool.