Evil Ocellaris

mojohoojo

i bought 2 Cleaner shrimp yesterday. 1st shrimp went in a state of Coma after 4 hours in the tank. 2nd shrimp was hinding and seems to be doin well until this morning i found it upside down under the LR. now...the only living thing in the 10G is 2 pair of clowns, bubble tip, Sebae, Rics and some shrooms.
First few hours after introducing the shrimp the 1st one was out in the open and the clowns was checking it out but nothing serious.....tank condition is Nit: 0, Amm: 0, PH: 8.2, Sal: 1.024setup coming to 5th month.....could it be the Evil CLowns?!?

nicetry

How did you acclimate them to the tank? Doubtful the clowns had anything to do with their death. Shrimp can be extremely sensitive to water conditions and can die if things are not up to par.

mojohoojo

Hi Nice try,
I acclimatise it for at least 10 minutes by putting the bag into the water.
As i mention above the water parameter is:
Nit: 0
Nat: 0
Amm: 0
PH: 8.2
Sal: 1.024
Temp: 28Celcius
Bummer...how could this be?!?

nicetry

Originally Posted by mojohoojo
http:///forum/post/2559892
Hi Nice try,
I acclimatise it for at least 10 minutes by putting the bag into the water.
Bummer...how could this be?!?

I think you have your answer. Ten minutes is no where near long enough for any acclimation of any organism. 1-2 hours minimum would have been better.

mojohoojo

ARRGHHHH!!! i just killed my shrimps!

i tot 10 minutes is enough, i got the info on the web on purchasing new fishes must have meant for fish only

Dont know if i ever buy another shrimp again.......

mcbdz

Watch the acclimation video to the left. Even your fish need a longer slower acclimation.

mojohoojo

Thanks for the help guys.
Does this apply to mail delivered item only? or does it apply the same if i got it from my LFS about 15 minutes away from my home?

michaeltx

actually its better for all fish and inverts the Salinity in petstores and online are usually set lower to help ward off diseases and such so the drip method is the best and easiest way to acclimate them to your tank parameters.
Mike

C

crazydave

Acclimation was probably your problem. On the other hand, I have a clown that pesters the heck out of my cleaner shrimp. When my shrimp comes swimming across the tank @ feeding time, the clown treats him like a red-headed step child, and beats him back into his corner. You can tell that some clowns are in the damsel family.

prime311

10 minute acclimation is more of a fresh water guideline, but even for fresh water that isn't very long.

sepulatian

Acclimation was definitely the culprit here. You may want to raise your SG a little if you are going to keep inverts. 1.025-1.026 is best.

aquaguy24

i have a pair of evil tru perc clowns..killed two fishes i tried adding..a yellow watchman goby and a sixline wrasse..but never touched any of my inverts..i have two cleaner shrimp and three peppermint shrimp.....acclimation is wat killed ur shrimp..i like to float the bag in the water for 10 mins..then drip acclimate for 30 or longer depending on wat i add...

mojohoojo

you mean they attack Sixlines? is this normal for clowns? i know they a bit territorial but i wouldnt imagine them attack that seriously

gliderjohn

http:///forum/post/2561919
you mean they attack Sixlines? is this normal for clowns? i know they a bit territorial but i wouldnt imagine them attack that seriously
I have a true perc. in the tank. Yesterday I added a Six Line Wrasse and a Bangaii Cardinal. They all get along fine. Last night the perc. and wrasse met up a couple of times in different areas of the tank. They seemed to enjoy each other's company for a while and then went their seperate ways. No sign of any aggression or hostility.

sly

Sorry to hear about your shrimp. You still could keep some but try drip acclimating them next time. It usually takes me about 3-4 hours to acclimate something I put in the tank. Sometimes I'll do it overnight and then put them in in the morning.
Also, just in case you didn't know... If you buy any fish, never put that water in your tank. Most fish at fish stores are kept in water treated with copper. Copper will kill your inverts. The water that comes with inverts you buy should be ok to add to the tank but to be on the safe side, I wouldn't do that either.

aquaguy24

http:///forum/post/2561919
first i added a smal true perc..about 1inch.. after a week i added a sixline..and they got along great.. swam together and everything..then two weeks later i added a big true clown..about two inches..everytime the sixline swam next to the small clown, the big clown would chase it away.. i woke up the next morning and a chunk of finn from the sixline was missing..after that it just got worse...then i tried adding a yellowwatchman goby..it got chased around by the big clown then they settled down..they next day i checked the tank i saw a chunk missing from the top of the goby's head...bout the same size as the clowns mouth..the goby never recovered after that....
i have no other fish now just two clowns, some shrimp and couple of snails..

mojohoojo

Are they truly evil or just plain naughty!? heheh....i got a sixline and a red hermit, 2 days ago and drip acclimatise it for 2 half hour so and they doing really great now....the sixline did get a small chunk biten off at the tail but he alrite now....i think im goin to have a 2nd try on the cleaner shrimps