Expensive Fish Die

cableguy35

Hello Im trying to figure some things out in my tank, I Do My bi weekly water changes, I use Jungle Quick dip strips to watch my tank levels nitrate is 20 nitrite is 0 alkalinity is 180 ph is 7.8, The Tank is a 40 long with live sand and live rock. The problem i have is that i can buy some cheap $6.00 blue damsels or Green chromis and they will stay alive with no problem, I buy a pair of clown's or cardinal at 15.99 and up and they wont live more than a few days to a few weeks the longest I was able to keep a pair of clowns was 3 weeks, I got a new pair last week now 8 days later there crab food, I acclimate using a drip for 2 to 2 1/2 hrs.
I dont want to keep killing off expensive fish, What am I doing wrong that I cant keep the more expensive fish alive?
Please help.. :help:

jon321

what about your ammonia? that is the most toxic and will kill anything but damsels fast. is your lr and ls cured? if not that could cause high ammonia also. additionally your pH is a low, it should be 8.0+, but for hardy fish, I dont think this would cause such a quick death.
I reserve drip for only the most delicate of fish, aswell as all inverts, I see no reason to use it for fish like clowns and have never lost a fish due to stress of that sort yet, but I doubt thats the cause.
Jon

ophiura

How old is your tank?
What sort of filtration do you have?
Do you use tap water or RO water?
What is your specific gravity?
What is your calcium level?
Are you getting these fish all from the same store?
First, I would have to say take your water to the LFS and have it tested. Unfortunately, IMO, the test strips really are not the best for giving really accurate readings. And as you've learned, you want accurate readings. Definitely splurge on test kits. :yes:
Your alkalinity and pH are low, IMO. Additionally, what time did you take your pH reading? Can you get a reading first thing in the morning, before lights come on? What sort of circulation do you have? Do you have a skimmer?
Do you mean you do 2 water changes a week, or bi monthly (2 water changes a month?). How much do you change?
Do you use and cleaning supplies near the tank? Anything to clean the glass, any sort of kitchen sponge or anything for algae? What sort of symptoms do the fish show? Do they eat fine and the appear dead one morning? Or do they get pale, and waste? Do they get ick or other identifiable disease?
OK, that's enough questions to get started, LOL :D

cableguy35

I filled in most of what You asked
Originally Posted by ophiura
How old is your tank? 6 months running with cured live rock live sand and crushed coral, all corals and polyops and anemones doing just fine
What sort of filtration do you have? Protien skimmer and magnum 250 canister filter
Do you use tap water or RO water? Tap water threw water softner
What is your specific gravity? 1.022-1.023
What is your calcium level? not sure how to test that
Are you getting these fish all from the same store? No
First, I would have to say take your water to the LFS and have it tested. [water tests fine at LFS ] Unfortunately, IMO, the test strips really are not the best for giving really accurate readings. And as you've learned, you want accurate readings. Definitely splurge on test kits. :yes:
Your alkalinity and pH are low, IMO. Additionally, what time did you take your pH reading? Can you get a reading first thing in the morning, before lights come on? What sort of circulation do you have? Do you have a skimmer?
Do you mean you do 2 water changes a week, or bi monthly (2 water changes a month?). How much do you change? yes bi weekly 40 gallon long take change 4-5 gallons
Do you use and cleaning supplies near the tank? No Iterms Anything to clean the glass, just paper towel, any sort of kitchen sponge or anything for algae? glass scraper What sort of symptoms do the fish show? Do they eat fine and the appear dead one morning? Or do they get pale, and waste? Do they get ick or other identifiable disease? , they eat just fine and appear dead over night
OK, that's enough questions to get started, LOL :D

dskidmore

Originally Posted by CableGuy35
Do you use tap water or RO water? Tap water threw water softner
That could be your major problem. Tap water starts out with alot of impurities. Water softeners work by replacing some of the ions with diffrent ones. You need to either buy bottled Reverse Osmosis or distilled water (and not the stuff with minerals added back in for taste,) or purchace an RO/DI unit for your home. If you can afford it, the second option will also give you high quality water for cooking and drinking. It will also be more cost effective in the long run.

ophiura

I am very interested in your alkalinity, calcium and pH readings, especially pH in the morning. Your LFS should be able to test for these, but it is important to rule out significant pH swings. pH would drop most at night, and might result in fish being fine and then dead in the morning.

dskidmore

Next time you do a water change, waste a few test strips to get results on the fresh tapwater, and the new mixed saltwater as well as your aquarium water. If the pH isn't right going into the tank, the tank will never balance where you want it. Pure water with good salt and lots of small water changes can cure many ills.