expensive lighting!!!

Anybody that has bought new bulbs, light fixtures, anything, knows that it is really expensive for the fish tank.
I understand there are different uv percentages and stuff, as compared to a normal fluorescent light, but why is it so much more?
What is so expensive in the creation of these lights?

watson3

They are not as mass produced and demanded as everyday lighting, therefore the price is a little higher..

watson3

Mass produced meaning Lowes, HD sales them and you can pick them up anyday..Not like you having to order them

ejensen

same thing with skimmer and sumps. Just plastic. Huge profits. Try fish stores. they sell thing atleast 2.5 x what they paid for it. Why? The same reason I paid $3.19 a gallon today for gas.

gas is outragous in california anytime, if you drove to arizona, as soon as you cross the border, it drops to about 2.60 a gallon.
weak.
and second, my expensive thing is becuase im broke as well, so that makes a $22.00 24 inch bulb seem too much.

socal57che

I noticed a lot of californians posting tonight. Minimum wage in Ca just made a jump so everything is inflating accordingly. We'll see it again next January when it jumps again.
And I agree...specialty bulbs are too high.

it doesnt help much trying to find a job, but once you get one, its a little better pay.
I see you are from oceanside....have you ever been the the aquarium of the pacific? and if so, what did ya think?

socal57che

Originally Posted by iampumpkinman
have you ever been the the aquarium of the pacific? and if so, what did ya think?
Haven't been. Maybe this summer we'll hit a couple aquariums. Tidepools at Cabrillo NM and harbor seals at LaJolla are pretty cool. We are also season passholders at SeaWorld so we see a lot
of that place.
ejensen,
We try to stop at Hadleys in Cabazon when we go out into the desert.