Experience with Angler/Frogfish wanted

texasmetal

I am seriously interested in obtaining a small Antennarius species, preferably Pictus but I would like to hear some feedback on how long the average Angler/Frogfish lives in an aquarium.
It would be going into a 75 gallon, FOWLR system. Yes, there are other fish. Dwarf Lion, Skunk Clown, 6-Line Wrasse, and a Bicolor Blenny, which would most likely all be relocated to other tanks, except the Fuzzy Dwarf Lion (which might could be a concern after the Angler grows)
Any input as to the lifespan would be appreciated.

aw2x3

Most last less than a year...there are exceptions, however. A guy I know has aprox. 10 - 15 Anglers...some of which he's had for a few years.
They CAN NOT be placed in tanks with other fish. Even fish the same size as the Angler will be eaten. They are also easily out competed for food and to make matters worse, they're already finicky eaters...most never get weened to frozen foods.

anthropo

not a good idea to put it in that tank cause it probably would eat your 6 line and possibly your skunk too. it's also possible that it would fight with your dwarf lion as well. usually people put anglers in a species specific tank. good luck if you try.

v-lioness

except the Fuzzy Dwarf Lion (which might could be a concern after the Angler grows)
One thing I would like to mention, Anglers and Lions are predators of one another, the difference of who eats who is just dependant on which is bigger at the time.
Kaye

krazekajin

you need to check out the oct/nov issue of the "Coral" mag. The whole issue is devoted to frogfish/anglerfish. It has awesome articles.

texasmetal

Originally Posted by KrazeKajin
you need to check out the oct/nov issue of the "Coral" mag. The whole issue is devoted to frogfish/anglerfish. It has awesome articles.
Bought the magazine, read the articles, which lead me to asking the questions about survival, considering most of the articles say they usually don't live long and are a species that pretty much should not be kept in a home aquarium.
I would move the others to other tanks, as stated. I did read that it is pretty common for them to eat Lionfish/Scorpionfish, so that takes care of that. Probably going to go with the species-only tank after I get the girlfriends seahorses moved from their 60-hex to a drilled 60-cube.
Just wanted first hand knowledge from other fish-keepers.
Thanks for the feedback.

texasmetal

Another question.
Could the short lifespan be related to over-feeding?
I know a lot of people tend to get predatory fish of this sort and exploit their behaviour for entertainment.