Exploding BTA?

rackyrane

OK here's a weird one for you guys.
I was given two BTA's. One is doing well. The other was ok, but wasn't as full as the other. It ate mysis shrimp and brine shrimp two days ago.
Today when I looked for it, all I saw was a few scattered pieces of anemone--attached to different rocks. I thought at first it had just died and the pieces were scattered around, but when I tried to remove them, they were attached.
I checked water parameters and they are ok except for nitrates:
ph 8.0
nitrites/ammonia 0
Sp Gr 1.023
nitrates 10
I know these guys split, but should the parent anemone disappear? :scared: :scared: TIA.

nick76

its possible it could have gotten sucked into a filter or a powerhead and gotten itself torn apart.

rackyrane

I don't have a power head, but that is a good thought.
I still haven't found enough pieces, dead or alive to make up for the size of the anemone. Do any fish eat these things?

rackyrane

I guess I should explain something...I bought my tank used and fully set up from someone who moved from the area. The inhabitants were already there.
The tank is 110 gal with a wet dry filter, A skilter (I know, I know and I am working on getting something better!). The set dry filter is pretty big and the flow pretty brisk--don't know the gph though.
The inhabitants are:
1 scopas tang
1 purple tang
a mated pair of percula clowns
1 pajama cardinal
1 bicolar blenny
1 damsel
2 orange spot gobies (I bought these)
a few hermits, 2 snails.
The tank was fowlr and I am slowly converting over to a reef. Any ideas? So far have not found any more pieces---have removed a couple small fragments.