Exploit Gift-Card loophole?

yearofthenick

My wife's grandmother is a lovely old woman. She's also very rich. She shops at all the best places. Places like Macy's.
So for Christmas, she decided to go to Macy's and buy me some sweater vests. She also bought my wife some high-quality dark purple corduroy pants with a waist height at the belly button. My wife is 26 years old.
Needless to say, we ended up returning all of it. Thanks to Macy's excellent return policy, we were able to return everything flawlessly and got the entire amount put onto a gift card.
$430.88.
I am still getting over how much money that old coot spent on us! It almost makes me feel guilty!!!
Now, my wife and I are simple people. I would even go as far as to say that we're minimalists. We only have one television. We get our own eggs from a chicken coop in the backyard. When I need new jeans, I go down to Costco and spend $20 on a factory reject pair. When my wife wants to go out and get new clothes, Target is our first and most likely our last stop. When we do decide to embellish our lives, most everything we purchase comes from craigslist, ebay, or amazon.com, with no tax, free shipping. We're deal-seekers in every sense of the term.
So when we go to someplace like Macy's, everything is too expensive. Pretty much every item I've found can be purchased for 20-40% less at amazon.com or another competitor's site. I cannot in good conscience spend any of this gift card money on stuff that I could easily purchase for MUCH LESS somewhere else.
I've thought about buying a few high-priced things and selling them on eBay to get cash, but I'd lose too much money in the process. I thought about getting watches, Jewelry for my wife, new coats for the whole family, a leather chair, etc etc etc. but in every instance, it hasn't been justifiable. I think watches are for the vain. My wife doesn't want any jewelry (can you believe it????) and all of us have plenty of warm clothes/coats. In fact, I just took a few jackets down to salvation army that I no longer use. I was interested in a leather chair, but found the same exact chair for $300 less at local furniture dealer.
SO.... in a last ditch effort, I hit up google for some other avenue to get cash back... and I found a loophole.
Senate Bill No. 250, Chapter 640 of the California Civil Code pertaining to gift cards states that:
"...any gift certificate with a cash value of less than$10 to be redeemed in cash, as defined, for its cash value..."
Link: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/sen/sb_0201-0250/sb_250_bill_20071013_chaptered.pdf
This means that if the gift card is less than $10, I can get cash back. But I don't have $10. I have $430. So what if I went down to Macy's tomorrow and asked for 43 (yes, fourty three) gift cards at $9.99 a piece? Then paid for these 43 gift cards with my $430 gift card? Then asked for them to liquidate each card into cash? I'd bring 43 pennies so I could get $10 bills back
Do you think I'm being a jerk for doing this? Too much? Or do you see my insanity as wonderfully creative?
Nick

hunt

i wonder if they have anything like that in Michigan...lol. I have a lot of gift cards in my wallet i havnt used.

bionicarm

Read the disclosure on the gift card. Most of those types of cards are not reedemable for cash, and you can't use a gift card to purchase another gift card. I would imagine they have this just to keep people from doing exactly what you want to try and do.
I admire you for your 'thriftiness', but I shop at Macy's all the time, and I find discounts on clothing items that are lower than even prices at Target or Walmart. You just have to select the right time of the year to shop. The Macy's stores here move out their major clothing lines twice a year - around March they clear out their winter clothes to make room for their 'summer lines', and in September/October they do the opposite and clear out their summer stock for the winter clothes. That's when I shop at those types of stores. This last October, I purchased 2 bathing suits, 4 pairs of shorts, 5 polo-style shirts, 3 T-shirts, 3 pairs of slacks, and 2 pairs of blue jeans for $250. These were all designer label items (Ralph Lauren, Hilfiger, Izod, Nautica, Macy's Brands, Greg Norman, etc.) They cut the origianl price by 50% - 75% depending on the day you hit the store. I had shirts where the original price was $65, and I paid $15 after markdowns. They have $25 T-shirts for $5. Same thing for shorts and bathing suits. Make your aunt happy and hold onto the gift card and 'spluge' on yourself a couple times each year.

jtt

If it were me, I would go on craigslist and offer to trade someone cash for the card at a loss. $430 gift card for sale at $420 cash.

yearofthenick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///forum/thread/382728/exploit-gift-card-loophole#post_3342273
Read the disclosure on the gift card. Most of those types of cards are not reedemable for cash, and you can't use a gift card to purchase another gift card. I would imagine they have this just to keep people from doing exactly what you want to try and do.
I admire you for your 'thriftiness', but I shop at Macy's all the time, and I find discounts on clothing items that are lower than even prices at Target or Walmart. You just have to select the right time of the year to shop. The Macy's stores here move out their major clothing lines twice a year - around March they clear out their winter clothes to make room for their 'summer lines', and in September/October they do the opposite and clear out their summer stock for the winter clothes. That's when I shop at those types of stores. This last October, I purchased 2 bathing suits, 4 pairs of shorts, 5 polo-style shirts, 3 T-shirts, 3 pairs of slacks, and 2 pairs of blue jeans for $250. These were all designer label items (Ralph Lauren, Hilfiger, Izod, Nautica, Macy's Brands, Greg Norman, etc.) They cut the origianl price by 50% - 75% depending on the day you hit the store. I had shirts where the original price was $65, and I paid $15 after markdowns. They have $25 T-shirts for $5. Same thing for shorts and bathing suits. Make your aunt happy and hold onto the gift card and 'spluge' on yourself a couple times each year.
Just checked the disclosure - it says we can't exchange for cash except where required by law. Also in SB250 of the civil code states that I can get another gift card at any time and the balance can never expire.
I think it's great that there are good deals every now and then for clothes at Macy's, but we just don't have much interest in wearing name-brand stuff. I think that adds to our desire to liquidate the card, because everything there is a big designer brand. Target stuff keeps me warm just as well as Ralph Lauren.
It's a good suggestion, but I dunno man, I just want to get cash back. If anything, to pay down credit cards. Another reason we feel bad spending money on designer stuff is because we're trying to get out of debt. We've become accustomed to the "survival mode" of living and it suits us well. I see money and I think "where can I save/pay down credit"... not "oooh look at that designer watch, etc..."

sepulatian

I worked at a clothing store. You were definitely not allowed to buy a gift card with a gift card. Our policy was that however you pay for something that is how you get your money back if you return it. For example, if you pay with a credit card then the money has to go back on your card. However, if you pay with a gift card then you would get a merchandise credit card, not a gift card back if you return the item. Now, follow me here. I didn't read the law, but if the same policy applies, you COULD purchase items under $10 then return them and either get back cash or a merchandise credit that you might then be able to get cash for. Hmmm interesting... Let us know how that works out!

yearofthenick

This is a California-specific thing. I'm actually surprised with how much these policies change from state to state:
http://www.consumersunion.org/pub/core_financial_services/003889.html
I was able to exchange the gift card for another one because the one they gave me had a barcode and I needed one with the magnetic strip so they could slide it on their card readers. Not sure if it would work in splitting it up though
I have thought about buying 43 of the same thing at less than $10 and returning it one by one for a cash refund. It just seems like more work than it's worth. Honestly, the whole thing does. But I think what I may do is contact the manager at the local Macy's and share with him/her my plan, asking if they can just allow me to forego the trouble and give me a full refund. If they still want me to go through all the motions, I may just do it.

jtt

Send a pm to saltwaterfish admin and ask if he will accept a Macy's gift card as payment for livestock or equipment?

flower

Why not tell grandmother the truth, and since she is rich and shops at Macy's maybe she will give you the full cash value and use the card herself. Otherwise she may do the same thing next year.
She just wanted to do something nice for you, so just be honest and sugar sweet when you tells her how thankful you are and how wonderful she is and you just don't like Macy's store. Tell her you have your eye on something but you need the cash because it isn't at Macy's
As a Grandmother who indulges my grandkids...believe me, she will understand completely. You can't buy clothes for young people, they have different tastes...Hey My Mom said go shopping to spend the gift cash with her..she would love your company

reefraff

Stand in front of Macy's with a cardboard sign saying "Gift Card for sale" If nothing else some kindly folks will hand you a few bucks for food.
Telling the store you intend to commit fraud probably isn't a good move.

meowzer

Wait 1 week......everything will be 50% off....LOL....
I would have had it spent already.....You can not tell me that you need NOTHING.....Macy's sells coffee pots, toasters, sheets, blankets......they sell a lot of necessities (to me a sheet is a necessity..LOL)

yearofthenick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/382728/exploit-gift-card-loophole#post_3342320

Why not tell grandmother the truth, and since she is rich and shops at Macy's maybe she will give you the full cash value and use the card herself. Otherwise she may do the same thing next year.
She just wanted to do something nice for you, so just be honest and sugar sweet when you tells her how thankful you are and how wonderful she is and you just don't like Macy's store. Tell her you have your eye on something but you need the cash because it isn't at Macy's
As a Grandmother who indulges my grandkids...believe me, she will understand completely. You can't buy clothes for young people, they have different tastes...Hey My Mom said go shopping to spend the gift cash with her..she would love your company
I appreciate this idea. I think in different circumstances, I may consider it. But my wife's grandmother probably wouldn't understand. Although we certainly hope she'll live much longer, we sadly don't anticipate her living another year. She can barely walk and has trouble participating in normal conversation. I have a feeling if we went to her and said the clothes she picked for us weren't to our liking and could we have cash instead, it may really upset her. She's in a very fragile state right now. The last thing we want is to help push her to the grave, or worse, get left out of the Will! :)

yearofthenick

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///forum/thread/382728/exploit-gift-card-loophole#post_3342321
Stand in front of Macy's with a cardboard sign saying "Gift Card for sale" If nothing else some kindly folks will hand you a few bucks for food.
ITS NOT FRAUD!!! Reef, c'mon... don't make me feel like I'm committing a crime! :) I just figured if I shared my plans with a manager in a calm, collected way, he may be able to help me out somehow.

yearofthenick

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/382728/exploit-gift-card-loophole#post_3342329
I would have had it spent already.....You can not tell me that you need NOTHING.....Macy's sells coffee pots, toasters, sheets, blankets......they sell a lot of necessities (to me a sheet is a necessity..LOL)
You know, the same exact thing happened last year. Grandma bought expensive clothes, we returned them all and got a $374 gift card. We bought a new 24-pc knife set and a few other things... but here we are a year later and all the kitchen stuff we bought is still practically brand new. Besides, it's not about the item, it's about the deal. Why spend $149 at Macy's when I can get it for $99 on Amazon? I just feel bad thinking that $50 was wasted just because we bought it at Macy's. That's like two dinners with the family... or 7 dinners at costco. Yes, I'm that cheap.

fishtaco

Gift cards...........grrrrrrr. Go out and look online, you may be able to trade it for a gift card that you can actually use like Home Depot. We always get a couple for birthdays and Christmas and they are to places like the Outback or Olive Garden...........nice except they are 70 miles drive to the closest one. I gave mine this year to a friend who is out of work and lives close to both places.
Fishtaco

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick http:///forum/thread/382728/exploit-gift-card-loophole#post_3342354
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/thread/382728/exploit-gift-card-loophole#post_3342329
You know, the same exact thing happened last year. Grandma bought expensive clothes, we returned them all and got a $374 gift card. We bought a new 24-pc knife set and a few other things... but here we are a year later and all the kitchen stuff we bought is still practically brand new. Besides, it's not about the item, it's about the deal. Why spend $149 at Macy's when I can get it for $99 on Amazon? I just feel bad thinking that $50 was wasted just because we bought it at Macy's. That's like two dinners with the family... or 7 dinners at costco. Yes, I'm that cheap.
It's all about hitting the sales. Macy's always has these "Red Apple Days' sales (I think that's what they call them) where they take 20% off any item in the store, even the items already marked down. I know you're frugle, but Macy's should have SOMETHING you could use. Don't get stuck on the labels. I used to do computer work for this shirt factory in Arkansas years ago. The IT Manager took me through the factory to let me see how things work. They had this line of men's button-down dress shirts running, and I asked "Who do you make shirts for?" He said, "Depends on the run." He walks me over to this area where they sew on the tags to the collar. Inside these boxes were labels from Arrow, Sears, J.C. Penney's, Crew, Hilfiger, and several other shirt brands. Basically this company used the exact same shirt for all these brands. All they did is sew in the label of whichever brand they were sticking in the plastic sleeves you see shirts in at the store.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick http:///forum/thread/382728/exploit-gift-card-loophole#post_3342352
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/thread/382728/exploit-gift-card-loophole#post_3342321
ITS NOT FRAUD!!! Reef, c'mon... don't make me feel like I'm committing a crime! :) I just figured if I shared my plans with a manager in a calm, collected way, he may be able to help me out somehow.
Read the definition of fraud. Intentional deception for personal gain is fraud. Would a DA prosecute you? Of course not but the store would likely have the right to refuse to refund any purchases you made if they knew your plan.
Now that I think of it there are websites that buy and trade gift cards if you cant find something to use it for.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick http:///forum/thread/382728/exploit-gift-card-loophole#post_3342354
You're looking at this all wrong. The reality is for you, that 150 dollar item at Macy's is really 0 dollars.
But you can find good prices at those type stores.
But if it were me I'd just go pick up some nice heels for your wife. Blowing 430 bucks of something else's money aint that bad...
If you don't mind looking like a cheap bass turd. I'd walk in and ask the manager. Tell him the deal, and see what he/she says. When they say hell no. Plop down the law and push a little... If that still means hell no, tell em you'll go blow the 400 bucks at a different Macy's any Macy's but yours...
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///forum/thread/382728/exploit-gift-card-loophole#post_3342382
Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick
http:///forum/thread/382728/exploit-gift-card-loophole#post_3342352
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/thread/382728/exploit-gift-card-loophole#post_3342321
Read the definition of fraud. Intentional deception for personal gain is fraud. Would a DA prosecute you? Of course not but the store would likely have the right to refuse to refund any purchases you made if they knew your plan.
Now that I think of it there are websites that buy and trade gift cards if you cant find something to use it for.
lol imo most sales practices are fraud... Why not game the gamer... That is a whole lot more palletable than being a hippy minimalist. (
)

socal57che

I'm with stdreb when he says you are spending someone elses money. Buy something you wouldn't normally buy and be done with it or craigslist it at $400 like your brother mentioned. $400 will buy a lot of groceries at Aldi.