external pump or submersible????

accurate

I was looking for some good flow without adding another powerhead. iwas told the powerheads give off heat and if they stop, then theyre just sending elect. through your tank.
I posted a similar ques earlier and need a little more input if i may
i have 3 powerheads in the tank now and a rio 1700 pumping out of my sump for flow. i was thinking about getting a little giant because most sump pumps that ive seen wont push alot of head pressure and then we go back to the heat and electricity deal??
What about it?? anybody want to take a stab at this one?

ironreef

all internal pumps/powerheads add heat. The yare water cooled. If a powerhead stops they Don't send elect. throught the tank. They would do it all the time not just when they stop. The powerheads have epoxy to keep the motor dry. So do Rios but they use a thin coat. This is why when a rio mainly the larger ones get dirty and stop they overheat and melt down= nuke your tank. Mag pumps are a better choice. External pumps are better for power but can make more noise. They run coolor if using a fan. I prefer dolpin and iwaki.

pibulljc

i never heard of a powerhead sending elec. if they shut off,my tank would of been fried i have 3 in mine when its summer i run a little fan over my sump this drops the temp. 2-4 degrees.this year im getting central air this should eliminate my prob.Whith ur powheads and big sump pump u should have enough movement