Fainting Goat Kittens

oceankid

I think I want to cry

Have you heard about this? Found it on youtube:
Quote:
From youtube description, posted by galvinwasgod
charlie and spike are two kittens with myotonia congenita, otherwise known as 'fainting goat' syndrome. at the slightest? sound or movement, the kittens respond by collapsing and falling into a rigid paralysis which lasts about a minute before they return to normal.If a pin drops they drop too. This condition has hardly ever before been diagnosed in a cat, is rarely found in dogs and is more common in goats. The kittens are able to walk, but they cannot run or jump. aside from this they are normal.
Sad to report that the black and white kitten (spike) died on 27th october from respiratory failure. thanks for all the kind messages. comments enabled once again as duplicate videos are appearing. this is the original
Sunday 31/10 - I'm devastated to report that Charlie (tabby cat ) died in my arms last night. we are in a state of shock and disbelief at this. During the short time we had them, both Charlie and Spike touched our lives in a way that we never expected. We had a plan for treatment with drugs, approved by the Royal Veterinary College at Potters Bar, but there was a worry that any side effects might be fatal while the boys were so small. We were due to start on monday. I had prepared a second film which I have now posted to youtube dedicated to their memory. thanks again for all the kind comments you have posted. Ed & Becky x
1/11 update:
a duplicate video appeared on youtube, with gun shot sounds synced to Charlie's falls. I though this was OK initially, but given that Charlie has subsequently died, I requested youtube remove it, and they have done so. The RVC were not impressed by it at all.

monsinour

My kids laffed at this as they just didnt understand what it meant. It is sad when an animal passes. About the only thing i can hope for is that this does not make its way into the mainstream animals like it has with goats.

oceankid

I laughed a first too, I thought it was cat trick, but I realize that it was syndrome...I feel really sad

lil.guppy

There was a white dog I saw on youtube that had this. Its in human, cruel and they need to be put to sleep IMO That is not a life for an animal to constantly fall over like that. How uncomfortable

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/381755/fainting-goat-kittens#post_3328082
So then dogs and cats do not equil family members? That is your belief and it is completely different than mine.
YEAH.....I spend more money on "comfort" and preventative meds for my animals then I do for me....LOL
I would spend my last dime trying to cure Meowzer if he ever came ill........He is my soul mate...LOL....Never have I had a cat like him...I swear he is part human

flower

I'm going to agree with Lil Guppy on the putting the kittens down. The little guys died on ther own anyway, because they were not meant to live like that..
Kittens are not like goats or dogs, kittens play and jump. Adult cats stalk and play up to old age. These little guys couldn't walk accross the floor. Everytime they even thought about playing they fell over stiff. I knew they were sick the moment I saw them and I really love my critters, but I would have had them put down.

lil.guppy

I think your misunderstanding what I was trying to say...
This is a very rare thing but as you can see they are in a constant stress. If a dog lost its leg it can manage walking around on all 3. If it had arthritis you can treat that with meds. These are things that I would personally do to help the animal.
When you come across a situation like this its time to let them go.
How would they properly use the litterbox without falling on their own stuff
How would they eat without possibly choking
How would they play or socialize
A dog with 3 legs or a dog with arthritis or even a cat with cronic constipation can be releaved enough to still have a fulfilled life but these little guys just didnt seem to have that.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil.guppy http:///forum/thread/381755/fainting-goat-kittens#post_3328132
I think your misunderstanding what I was trying to say...
This is a very rare thing but as you can see they are in a constant stress. If a dog lost its leg it can manage walking around on all 3. If it had arthritis you can treat that with meds. These are things that I would personally do to help the animal.
When you come across a situation like this its time to let them go.
How would they properly use the litterbox without falling on their own stuff
How would they eat without possibly choking
How would they play or socialize
A dog with 3 legs or a dog with arthritis or even a cat with cronic constipation can be releaved enough to still have a fulfilled life but these little guys just didnt seem to have that.

Well said

lil.guppy

I can see where this post is going
Oceankid good post it was very interesting..thank you for sharing that.

oceankid

All I can say is that both ways are painful, it is painful to euthanize someone who wants to live and it is painful to watch someone who is in pain....

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanKid http:///forum/thread/381755/fainting-goat-kittens#post_3328793
All I can say is that both ways are painful, it is painful to euthanize someone who wants to live and it is painful to watch someone who is in pain....

These little kitties had a chance if they lived long enough, which they didn't, but they were in no pain. So we are not really talking about these kittens anymore. Some people like Monsinour consider animals on the same level as people. I love animals but I don't hold them to human standards.
It's painful to watch ANYTHING suffer even a bug. I can squash a bug outright, but I can't for example wait for the lighting bug to glow and rip off his abdomen and stick it on a kid’s finger and call it a ring.
So there is cruelty and there is kindness to all creatures. We must each live with our decisions. I had a very old cat once, 18 years. He was so sick at the end but we didn't put him down. We put him on a towel with a heating pad (since he was always sitting over the heat vent) and sat a vigil with him until the end like he was an old man. Death is a sad final thing for any creature and all fight to the last breath to live.
You have a tender heart, that is a very good thing in this dark cruel world. We need more young people like you in it.