Fake Plants?

jayson417

Hello,
Question here,
What fake plants can go in SW? any?
The guy at my LFS tried to sell me some but it didnt say 'saltwater safe'.
Trying to add some color to my tank. Also if i put copper in my tank will that kill a sponge?
Thanks in advance everyone.

salt life

Originally Posted by Jayson417
http:///forum/post/3068471
Hello,
Question here,
What fake plants can go in SW? any?
The guy at my LFS tried to sell me some but it didnt say 'saltwater safe'.
Trying to add some color to my tank. Also if i put copper in my tank will that kill a sponge?
Thanks in advance everyone.
if you want color, why not get some macro algaes? fake plants will have to be cleaned and that is no fun.

alix2.0

there are some made specifically for saltwater, but yeah, they dirty up fast and stain so you have to clean them and maybe bleach them occasionally.
and yeah, copper will kill sponges.

jayson417

I've been using this filter pad called a "Poly Pad" and it says it will turn colors when it starts removing Copper,Ammonia, and Other elements.
So far is turning blue/green for ammonia and copper. Do you think this will remove all the copper?

salt life

http:///forum/post/3068869
So i have to start over?
Whats my options?
to expand on that short informative answer. silicone absorbs copper as does your live rock and live sand, over time it will begin to leach out so you will always have a copper reading in your tank. this will leave you limited to fish options down the road due to the sensitivity of some fish and inverts to copper.
have you already used copper or are you planning on using it? copper should only be put into a QT, unless you have no other options.

jayson417

I had a 55 gallon but it would fit in my new place so I had to move everything to my
Qt tank as my dt. Before this had happened I used copper for a qt fish I purchased that had iick.
So I'm sure it has already leeched out. I'm better off moving the fish to a rubbermaid container and start over?
Thanks for the help.

salt life

http:///forum/post/3069202
I had a 55 gallon but it would fit in my new place so I had to move everything to my
Qt tank as my dt. Before this had happened I used copper for a qt fish I purchased that had iick.
So I'm sure it has already leeched out. I'm better off moving the fish to a rubbermaid container and start over?
Thanks for the help.
do you have a new tank to start over with or you'd have to get one?

auroradrvr

My opinion, but the copper in liverock/silicone thing is WAY WAY blown out of proportion. Inverts and Corals are able to handle some amounts of copper, which specific level that is, depends on the individual specimen.
I've had a couple different Leander shrimps that I've taken up to Seachem's recommended dosage for Cupramine, and they lived in that for > 1 month, without reaction.
I also have 40lbs of LR that has been in a Cupramine. That LR is in my 65 Reef (LPS, SPS, Softies, Zoas, etc.) right now, with no ill effects..

jayson417

I hear ya,
I don't have another tank or anything. I figured if i kept doing water changes for the next few months the level would drop and drop and drop.
But that doesnt seem to be the case. So i'm running these poly pad filter pad's that should suck the copper out via filtering but someone said its snake oil.
Whats a SWFer do