fans to cool tank down

jjman101

I keep hearing people talking about fans to cool the tank down. I just started my tanks over the winter so i know nothing about cooling my tank down. So if anyone can help that would be great. What type of fans are you guys using. Like regural house fans and pointing them at the tank or are there special little fans or something that i need to buy?

dvs

Hey JJ
If you go to Radio Shack they have some small fans used for pc's. I think they are approx. 4"x4" (mabye 3x3) and they only cost about $9.00 each.
Good luck. Hope thats what you were looking for.
:)
Jen

jjman101

thanks dvs if that will work i'm all about it. i work on comp's for a living so i know all about those little computer fans. Just wasn't sure if that would be i'll i needed thanks.

FYI, the fans DVS talked about are great for cooling lighting. I have two of them for my lighting, but the water was still running around 83-84. I really wanted it at 80. Chillers are a great solution. Unfortunatley they're expensive, and take up space. If you have money and space go for it. Otherwise use a small house fan. I have it on top of my sump facing down. On low it has dropped the temp to 80 perfect. The only downside to fans is evaporation. I don't mind doing manual top-off every other day. It also helps me dose Kalk, but I think I'll get sick of it sooner or later. Your tank, your decision.
One more thing. A guy at my lfs said I could have the fan blow across the front of the tank to cool it down without as much evaporation, but my wife isn't really up for that, so I haven't tried it.

shels

Those are the fans I use in my canopy. They are in the sides, I have one on each side. They turn on with my MH. I also have a fan, that is in my cabnit. The only negative thing I can say is that you have alot more water evap with the fans running. I lose about 2 gallons a day right now. Good Luck
I was posting the same time as Hookedonreefs, so I kinda said the same thing. I do use a house fan to blow in font of the tank also, I figure if I am having company I will put the fan away and pull it back out when they leave. It does look kinda geto, but at least my fish are happy fish.:D

jjman101

i'm not really worried about my lighting to much lights are on mostly at nite. so pointing a fan at the front of my tank might work?