Favorite Bible Verse?

reefreak29

Originally Posted by Tizzo
Is that a specific religion?? Cause I never got anything cool when I joined my church...
Course it split, so I have another shot at it... KIDDING!!
But seriously, IS it specific to one particular religion?
catholic

bigskyreef

Romans 8:28
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.
:joy:

rylan1

Originally Posted by Mr. Guitar
6 Members to 5,000?! That's a bunch of people. hahaha. Have you seen Hillsong's, Rod Parsley's, or Joel Osteen's church? I've only seen pictures online but they are huge!!!
Do you preach?

Yea those churches are crazy.... I like the ammentites of a large church. They have lots of programs and are able to help a lot of people, but with 20,000 people it would be hard not to get lost in the crowd. Olsteen is on T.V where I live... His church is an old Basketball arena.. Speaking of mega-churches - we have TD Jakes coming in about 3 weeks.
I don't preach but my brother in law just started. He's my age and was into all the things of the world...drinking,drugs,---,...etc... He had an experience and was transformed overnight...He's the most spritual dude I know and has been given gifts...

mr. guitar

Originally Posted by Mimzy
I'm not too sure, but I believe this question was directed toward me. I speak English and Hebrew.
Yes it was...sorry 'bout that. That's AWESOME!!! I want to learn how to speak Hebrew sometime in my life. I think it's so cool. I don't know where to start learning though. I'm thinking about gettin some computer software so I can start learning. I also want to learn Greek. haha. I have a lot of stuff to work on. hahaha.

mr. guitar

Originally Posted by Rylan1
Yea those churches are crazy.... I like the ammentites of a large church. They have lots of programs and are able to help a lot of people, but with 20,000 people it would be hard not to get lost in the crowd. Olsteen is on T.V where I live... His church is an old Basketball arena.. Speaking of mega-churches - we have TD Jakes coming in about 3 weeks.
I don't preach but my brother in law just started. He's my age and was into all the things of the world...drinking,drugs,---,...etc... He had an experience and was transformed overnight...He's the most spritual dude I know and has been given gifts...
Yeah they are crazy!!! TD Jakes? Never heard of him before. That's great about your brother-in-law preaching!!!

rylan1

Originally Posted by Mr. Guitar
Yeah they are crazy!!! TD Jakes? Never heard of him before. That's great about your brother-in-law preaching!!!
He's a pastor, author, etc.... has a huge media thing going on TV, has movies etc... But he has a church in I think Dallas much like that of Olsteen. He was voted like Most Influential Religous Leader by Time Magazine like a year or two ago.

clown316

someone asked what religion you get confirmed in... its actually christian.. protestant (sp?) to be more specific..

alphamandi

I have a few favorites...
Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:16
1 Corinthians 13 the entire chapter I like the translation that uses Charity instead of Love.

mr. guitar

Originally Posted by alphamandi
I have a few favorites...
Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:16
1 Corinthians 13 the entire chapter I like the translation that uses Charity instead of Love.
I like those too!!!
I've got more favorites to say...I really like Acts Chapter 2, when there was a huge clap of thunder and people in the church were filled with the Holy Spirit and started speaking in different tongues! Awesome!!!
I also like all of 1 Corinthians 14 where Paul talks about tongues...that's awesome in my opinion!!!!

reefreak29

so whats everyones favorite book in the bible.
ill cheat because i like the first 4 the best ive read it at least 12 times

rylan1

Since we are talking about Bible verses...a couple of my friends and family were in a group yesterday and the subject of tatoos came up and if they are forbidden (a sin) or okay in today's world...This topic also discussed the practices and laws of the Old Testament and do these same laws/practices still apply today... Your thoughts please...I believe the verse in question is in Deuteronomy (spelling?) :thinking:

shogun323

Since we are talking about Bible verses...a couple of my friends and family were in a group yesterday and the subject of tatoos came up and if they are forbidden (a sin) or okay in today's world...This topic also discussed the practices and laws of the Old Testament and do these same laws/practices still apply today... Your thoughts please...I believe the verse in question is in Deuteronomy (spelling?) :thinking:
I guess they can still apply if you are into legalism and have no regard for cultural relevance.

reefreak29

hey rylan thats a very good question .i know the bible pretty well and im going to answer the best i can.
do the laws god gave to the isrealites still apply today?
gods laws are desighned to guide people toward a healthy lifestyle.there perpose was to point out sin and to show the proper way to deal with that sin.the ten commandments are just as acclicaple today as they were 3000 years agobecause they proclaim a lifstyle endorsed by god.htey are a perfect expression on how he wants us to live. as far as the other laws besides the ten commandments and are these just as important? god never issued a law that didnt have a purpose. however , many of the laws were directed to the people of that time and culture. although the specific law doesnt apply to use the princaple behind the law does. for example christians dont practice animal sacrifice in worship. but the princaple behind the sacrifice aka. forgiveness for sin and thankfulness to God still apply. the sacrifices back then needed to be used to clense there sin because jesus had not died on the cross yet. the new testament says that with the death of jesus christ the laws of the old testament have been fulfilled. this means that while the old testament help us recognize are sins and correct are wrong doings,it is jesus who takes are sins away.jesus is now are primary example to fallow because he alone perfectly obeyed theses laws and modled its true intent.

rylan1

Originally Posted by reefreak29
hey rylan thats a very good question .i know the bible pretty well and im going to answer the best i can.
do the laws god gave to the isrealites still apply today?
gods laws are desighned to guide people toward a healthy lifestyle.there perpose was to point out sin and to show the proper way to deal with that sin.the ten commandments are just as acclicaple today as they were 3000 years agobecause they proclaim a lifstyle endorsed by god.htey are a perfect expression on how he wants us to live. as far as the other laws besides the ten commandments and are these just as important? god never issued a law that didnt have a purpose. however , many of the laws were directed to the people of that time and culture. although the specific law doesnt apply to use the princaple behind the law does. for example christians dont practice animal sacrifice in worship. but the princaple behind the sacrifice aka. forgiveness for sin and thankfulness to God still apply. the sacrifices back then needed to be used to clense there sin because jesus had not died on the cross yet. the new testament says that with the death of jesus christ the laws of the old testament have been fulfilled. this means that while the old testament help us recognize are sins and correct are wrong doings,it is jesus who takes are sins away.jesus is now are primary example to fallow because he alone perfectly obeyed theses laws and modled its true intent.
I agree with that, and I agree with the difference of culture. This question is an interesting one because there are so many forms of body modification such as piercings, tatoos, surgury. Is this a sin? I know that your intentions play a role and if it is a compulsion or intended for things ungodly...But is it wrong if simply for artistic reasons?
Another question...I was watching one of those programs on History Channel... Most of the stuff about religion is bogus in my opinion such as when they talk about Da Vinci code stuff and things of that nature. There was one interesting thing on about The Lost Years of Jesus and if he visited such places like India and China before he began his ministry. There are stories in their history of a man that did this during Jesus' time. What do you all think?

reefreak29

I agree with that, and I agree with the difference of culture. This question is an interesting one because there are so many forms of body modification such as piercings, tatoos, surgury. Is this a sin? I know that your intentions play a role and if it is a compulsion or intended for things ungodly...But is it wrong if simply for artistic reasons?
Another question...I was watching one of those programs on History Channel... Most of the stuff about religion is bogus in my opinion such as when they talk about Da Vinci code stuff and things of that nature. There was one interesting thing on about The Lost Years of Jesus and if he visited such places like India and China before he began his ministry. There are stories in their history of a man that did this during Jesus' time. What do you all think?
is getting a tat a sin , i think god made it a sin in the old testament to protect the people from infection and disease, also mabie because god gave u this body and he doesnt waant u to alter it.so yes i think its a sin but all sins are forgiven

shogun323

Leviticus 19:26–31 — New American Standard
In this passage God is speaking to his covenant people Israel. He is specifically telling them to stay far from the religious practices of the surrounding people groups. The prohibited religious practices in these verses include eating bloody meat, fortune telling, certain hair cuts related to the priests of false cults, cutting or marking the body for dead relatives, cultic prostitution and consulting psychics. All these practices would lead God's beloved people away from Him and toward false gods that were not Gods at all. In the midst of this context we find the word translated “tattoo marks” in verse 28. It is important to note here that the context of this passage is not one of body décor but one of marking one's self in connection with cultic religious worship. Bible commentaries tell us much about the eastern religious practices that God was warning His people to shun.
These prohibitions seem to relate to pagan religious customs which should be avoided, including pagan mourning rites (vv. 27-28)
Walvoord, J. F., Zuck, R. B., & Dallas Theological Seminary. (1983–c1985). The Bible knowledge commentary: An exposition of the scriptures. Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.
The practice of making deep gashes on the face and arms and legs, in time of bereavement, was universal among the heathen, and it was deemed a becoming mark of respect for the dead, as well as a sort of propitiatory offering to the deities who presided over death and the grave. The Jews learned this custom in Egypt, and though weaned from it, relapsed in a later and degenerate age into this old superstition (Is 15:2; Je 16:6; 41:5). “nor print any marks upon you” (v:28 )—by tattooing, imprinting figures of flowers, leaves, stars, and other fanciful devices on various parts of their person. The impression was made sometimes by means of a hot iron, sometimes by ink or paint, as is done by the Arab females of the present day and the different castes of the Hindus. It it probable that a strong propensity to adopt such marks in honor of some idol gave occasion to the prohibition in this verse; and they were wisely forbidden.
Jamieson, R., Fausset, A. R., Fausset, A. R., Brown, D., & Brown, D. (1997). A commentary, critical and explanatory, on the Old and New Testaments. On spine: Critical and explanatory commentary. (Le 19:28). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.
“Make any cuttings in your flesh” (v:28): the reference here is to the practice of making deep gashes in the skin while mourning the death of a relative. This was done to provide life blood for the spirit of the dead person rather than to express sorrow. On account of the dead: as indicated above, this describes the purpose of all the actions in verse 27 as well as verse 28.
Péter-Contesse, R., & Ellington. (1992). A handbook on Leviticus. UBS handbooks; Helps for translating (Page 296). New York: United Bible Societies.
The “tattoo” marks described in Leviticus 19:28 were clearly related to false religious practices. The word translated tattoo in our English Bibles is the Hebrew word “qa aqa”, this word appears only one time in the Bible, here in this passage Leviticus. The word “qa aqa” means literally “to cut” but taken with the surrounding words indicates a cutting that left a mark imprinted in the skin. This could have been a form of branding, scarring, cutting or a process where ink was inlaid into the skin; there is not enough data to fully define exactly what this word meant. However we translate the word “qa aqa” though, in this passage, it is certainly used in the context of cultic religious worship. The prohibition against “qa aqa”, (translated tattoo) was to keep the Israelites from being involved or affiliated with cultic worship practices.
It's all about Culture and Context!!!

rylan1

Wow
That was really helpful. I asumed it was based more on B.C middle eastern culture, but again you want to be sure. We all knowingly commit sins and they are forgiven, but sometimes it seems unfair because we know that a dilberate action is a sin, and that it will beforgiven, but we do it anyway... Seems like we shouldn't deserve His mercy. What a great God we have!!

mr. guitar

Originally Posted by REEFER545
the whole book of Revelation
and "A bearer of Good News has blessed feet."
Great Thread
Why thank you! Revelation is Awesome!!! Just think we are gonna be in flying over The Valley of Armageddon before the war is prevented!!! Can't wait!
God Bless!!!!