Feather duster always out

keaka

I bought a feather duster today and its feathers are constantly out. I even touched it when putting it in my tank and it still would not hide its feathers. Do you think it's dead? Is that normal? The worm feels hard but the bottom part is out of its tube. How do I know if it's dead?

leviwin

Doesn't sound normal to me mine goes in if i even get close to it. But it does sound like there is still a worm in the tube. Mine lost his feathers once and I thought he was dead. I didn't see him for a couple of weeks. I left him alone and the feathers started to grow back. I would just leave him alone for a while. You'll know it dead when you can't fell anything in the tube.

bdubbya

Originally posted by keaka
I bought a feather duster today and its feathers are constantly out. I even touched it when putting it in my tank and it still would not hide its feathers. Do you think it's dead? Is that normal? The worm feels hard but the bottom part is out of its tube. How do I know if it's dead?

If the worm is hanging out of the bottom of it's tube, then it doesn't have anywhere else to go. Unless it completely exposes it's body to protect it's crown. If you want to know if it's dead or not, take a big whiff of it, you'll know then. Did you try to break off some of the tubing? Are you sure it was alive when you bought it? If I were you I would just find a nice hole to stick the base in, and it will eventually attach itself to the rock.
Good luck.