Feather Duster Behavior

I was just curious about normal feather duster behavior. Do they stay out exposing their tentacles all the time? Do they pop in and out frequently through out the course of the day? I 've also heard that if they crawl out of their tube, its bad...
Can someone give me a hand ? Cheers

gun freak

Mine stays out most of the time , it goes in sometimes ,but back out shorty after....:)
Hoped i helped ya out .....:notsure:

gregm779

Thir feathers will stay out most of the time unless they get scared if you just got yours it may take them a while to get used to the tank before they are comfortable. When they crawl out of their tube it usually means they aer gonna die. When you put them somewhere make sure it isn't stuffed somewhere so tight that the worm cannot move in or put easily, also they are filter feeders so if your tank is not really established I would suggest dosing it with something I use DTs Phytoplankton and it works great for them and my corals also.

chris s

Right on greg. We studied them in Invert Zoo. Class Last year. They are filter feeders so the feathers are filtering the water for food and when the worm detects food in the feathers pulls back into his tube and cleans the food off of his feathers. then he goes back out. the end

B

big l

My feather duster has completely disappeared (tube and all). My LFS said that it may be hiding under the sand.
:confused: :notsure:

chris s

I think that the LFS is a bunch of Leg pullers that work on comission. I usually put my tube worms between the LR and the substrate. But tube worms can not dig. If it is under the sand then something buried it. It might have became dislodged from where you put it and went behind some live rock. Just keep an eye out for it and try to look behind your LR and things.

mytank

Do the feather dusters grip on something, because I tried moving one of mine and I was not able to move him. He is between 2 live rocks and has about 3 inches of room in kind of a cave thing and lays on the sand. He is doing very well, but I wanted to move him out more for show and to see what he was doing.

chris s

I cant remember if they have a foot or something to hold them securlly to the substrate or not. Mine did the same thing so I just left it there. I dont think that it would hurt it to move it but be careful that you dont rip the tube.

dburr

They will attach the tube to rock or what ever. I put mine in a big snail shell and it's been there for 3 years. But I can also move it if I choose.