Feather duster massacre

Ok, this morning I was looking in my tank and noticed my feather duster was featherless. I didn't have time to do any investigations because I had to go to work. I just came home and noticed he was no longer in his tube. I had no idea where he went. I looked around the tank and noticed on top of my rock structure a wormlike creature dangling over the rocks. A fairly large blue-legged crab was attacking and eating it. Are blue-legged hermits known for doing something like this? Somebody dragged that worm to his deathbed. Grrrrr...

b_ball12_99

They tend to shed their crown (feathers) and if they want a new place then leave their tubes and move. It might have been dead or ill when the hermit got it. Wouldn't worry about it too much.

kymbra

I almost had a murder myself. I bought a chocolate chip starfish before I started reading about what is good in a reef tank, and He tried to eat my feather duster. I am trading him tomorrow. I can't deside which one to trade for though.... Blue or Red? What do you think? I am very new at all this.

dad

i'll agree with b_ball. most likely it went to find a new home and unless you have the proper"mud"etc. it probly died on it's own.

ironreef

most fether dusters make anywhere a home. They like sand but can live in LR. They are very easy to keep in a nutrient tank.= feed fish good or phyto added @dt. But the shoot there feathers when something bothers it or it spawns. It can grow back unless something was bothering it and it died

frenchman

My feather duster hated the vertical position (against and between rocks). It left its tube and could not find it for a day or two. I eventually found it under a rock, creating a new tube, and laying horizontal. It seems to love that position now.