feather duster

iyachtuxivm

So i have had a feather duster for about a month now. Everything seemed good but today the feather duster dropped its crown. The last few days its not come all the way out of the tube. I thought that maybe it was because I got soom new zoos and they were kinda close to the duster, like if the duster was out all the way the tips of the crown could touch the zoos. I didnt realize this so i moved the zoos farther away so they couldnt touch, the zoos didnt seem bothered at all. Is it possible that the zoos harmed the duster some how? I have read some on dusters and some things say they do this sometimes. Others say that if it happens its dying. Anyone know? or have any exp. Thanks

reefreak29

yeh my feather duster would lose its crown every 6 months for no apperent reason . give it a couple weeks for it to start growing back

spanko

You should do nothing and that includes not moving it or messing with it. Just let it be and it will either recover or not.

spanko

Did not mean to sound grim, usually they will recover if water is of good quality and we don't mess with them. Just trying to impress on you not to relocate it or anything. It is always strange to me that they drop their feathers like that.

spiderwoman

Is that normal behaviour or something that happens when they are stressed or water quality is not good? I want to be prepared.

iyachtuxivm

I know my water quality is great params:
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate less than 5 kinda hard to tell color diff its deff pale yellow
phos less than .09 test water is mostly clear slightly very pale blue
calc 420
kh 11
temp 79.2 fluctuates about .5-.8 through out the day
salinity 1.026
I did add an emerald crab on wednesday but it came out of a tank that had feather dusters in it. LFS said would not cause problems. I trust a couple guys there, they are usually right on.
hopefully its just normal I really like them.

spanko

Quote:
"<Am indeed familiar with this "loosing their head" behavior of tubiculous sedentariate polychaete worms as this... strange as it may seem, this is a "natural" behavior... Don't remove the seemingly empty "worm tube" and stand by to be impressed, as this organism will likely be re-emerging in a few days to weeks with a need crown of feeding "feathers"... Be chatting my friend. Bob Fenner>"