Feed Emerald Crab?

benj420

Do I need to feed my Emerald Crab? It seems to be getting more and more daring about grabbing flake food out of the water and will take a swipe or two at the damsel if it gets too close. I've only had him three weeks, so it could be that he is just getting more used to the feeding patterns and tanks, and where to sit for the flake to float by. If there isn't food in the water, he spends all day slowly picking away at the LR and sometimes the glass. I read somewhere that they may become fish killers. I'm not too worried yet because that damsel is a DAMsel and can hold it's own. Do I need to direct feed him/her somehow? If so, how? I don't want it to die, it's so cool to watch.

magic

Man thats why I don't have one, they are good when there little but when they get big, they want meat, I would give it somthing now and then just to keep it happy.

slothy

ummm lol emerald a fish killer ? maybe sally light foots.. my emeralds get feed sheet algae, every other day, or whatever floats near them..

megadon

Before my crab bit it I fed the tank Silversides or any other meat and he loved it, I also saw him with half a bristle worm in his claws one time. Mine also tried to grab flakes and would take a swipe at my Damsel too. They are very cool, I will get another soon.

benj420

Originally posted by slothy
ummm lol emerald a fish killer ? maybe sally light foots.. my emeralds get feed sheet algae, every other day, or whatever floats near them..

I've heard of sheet algae before, but have never really used them. Do you break off a piece and let it float around, try to get it by the crab?
Here is the quote from *********** dot com:
The Emerald Mythrax Crab may grow to 3 inches. Omnivore. The Mithrax sculptus is generally peaceful toward other tankmates. Reef-safe. Many consider the Mithrax sculptus a low-maintenance specimen. Not venomous. Tank cleaner, eats algae (cyanobacteria). Mithrax sculptus, the Green/Emerald Crab. Tropical West Atlantic. A noted eater of algae (even Valonia), but can turn into a fish eater... some references state to 2.5 others to a maximum of four inches carapace width. Now in its own genus Mithraculus. Family Majidae. Keep water quality high (SG 1.023 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F).

buzz

I feed my Emerald small squid chunks. They are omnivores, and will eat whatever they can get their claws on - flake food, algae, or meaty foods including fish if it's hungry enough and fast enough to grab them. It still grabs flake food and eats algae too, but feeding meaty foods will keep the appetite for fish in check.
I don't think they are much of a real threat to fish though.
Feeding meaty foods is a good addition to their diet.

My emerald crabs pick at the rocks all day, but as soon as I feed the fish they are right there to pick up any scraps. As a matter of fact all my crabs (hermits/emerald) come running as soon as they smell food. Crabs are very opportunistic, and will take a free meal anytime they can.
Both my ECs will chase after my Flame Cardinal, but they are slow, and the fish just keeps out of their reach. I think he does it on purpose to torment the crabs, but thats just my opinion.
I have never seen them pose a real threat. They did however do a real number on some caulerpa I had in the thank, they ate every leaf. Oh well, thats what its there for.
I have one EC that is pretty aggressive, even towards me! So if he doesn't bother the fish then I would think most are pretty harmless.
MCF

S

starfishjackedme

I've had my emerald steal pieces of shrimp right from the corals i was feeding! On occasion I will throw in some small chunks of meat for the emeralds and nassarius snails to eat.

slothy

Originally posted by Benj420
I've heard of sheet algae before, but have never really used them. Do you break off a piece and let it float around, try to get it by the crab?
Here is the quote from *********** dot com:

YA i rubber band a piece to a small rock, my emeralds/cleaners/arrow/hermits all come and take pieces of it off.. my fish snack on it too

owlett

okay, a few days ago I wanted to add another fish to my tank, since it had been running for awhile with it's current load.
I bought an emerald crab since I had some hairy algae and the carlurpa was spreading like mad and a nice firefish.
Well, the next day the fish was swimming happily and then all of a sudden it disapeared and has been gone for two days ever since! Do firefish hide in the rocks like this? I thought they swam around.
I wasn't able to find him on the ground outside of the tank, since they do have a rep for jumping.
Did he die?
What happens if I can't find him??:confused: won't that cause hyigh ammonia and kill everybody else????? Should I add ammonia detoxifier?

slothy

when i first got my firefish he hid for the first few days, then start comeing out lil bit at a time.. now hes out all the time..
i found his spot, lil hole in a piece of live rock

I had a firefish once.....didn't acclimate well....hid alot then when he finally started coming out to eat and hang out. Then one day I found him pinched under a rock, don't know for sure how he died, whether he got crushed or from stress.
I have heard that some firefish don't acclimate well, and sometimes do better in groups because they are very timid. Just what I've been told. Wish I still had mine, very cool fish.
Good luck with yours, hope it is OK....MCF

fugz

My firefish sleeps inside a rock i have with a hole in it, soon as i turn on the lights he comes out of some hiding spot and actually hangs out with my pair of perc clowns, its pretty funny.