Feeding a Frogspan

dallassvt

Hello!!
I have been spot feeding my corals about 3 times a week and have noticed that everything eats except my Frogspawn. I feed during the day and can see the mysis stuck to the frogspawn but it never really eats it just slowly releases the food back into the water.......

Any Ideas??

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by paintballer768
http:///forum/post/2686767
Im no expert but I believe frogspawn use sweeper tentacles at night, and those are the ones designed to catch food.
frogspawns close up at night...therefore they have no sweeper tenticles at night...thats why most try and feed in the day...

hops523

same thing happend to me awhile ago.just squirt some mysis shrimp with a turkey baster closer to its mouth,but not too hard because then he will close up.after awhile he will be waiting to get food and you wont have to squirt it so close to the mouth.but some days they just wont eat,and thats ok

mkzimms

no, they can just live off of sufficient lighting and whatever happens to float by in the water column.

hops523

they dont need to be spot fed to survive.they just like to be fed,and it helps them grow faster.what were you thinking of feeding?

dallassvt

Thanks Everyone!! I will just give him a little mysis every now and then, if he eats it great if not its "light and Ca!"

b_clark711

Originally Posted by jtrzerocool
http:///forum/post/2687159
frogspawns close up at night...therefore they have no sweeper tenticles at night...thats why most try and feed in the day...
Seriously? Apparently you are misinformed because Frogspawn DO in fact have sweeper tentacles, and they normally extend in the evenings! Any site you look at will have it listed in the description! I.E.: Frogspawn Coral - Branched
The Frogspawn Coral is a large polyp stony coral (LPS) often referred to as the Wall, Octopus, Grape, or Honey Coral. Its polyps remain visible throughout both the day and night, resembling a mass of fish eggs or frog eggs, hence one of its common names Frogspawn. Its coloration is green or brown to tan in color. With its appearance and coloration it would make a nice addition to any reef aquarium.
During the evenings, its sweeper tentacles can extend up to six inches beyond its base into the reef aquarium surroundings. It will sting other neighboring corals in the reef aquarium, therefore, it is best to leave plenty of room between itself and other types of corals. It is moderately difficult to maintain, but it is a popular coral that will thrive under the proper conditions. It will need to have moderate to heavy lighting combined with moderate water movement within the aquarium. For continued good health, it will also require the addition of calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water.
The symbiotic algae zooxanthellae hosted within its body provides the majority of its nutritional requirements from photosynthesis. It will also benefit from additional food in the form of micro-plankton or brine shrimp.

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by B_Clark711
http:///forum/post/2699575
Seriously? Apparently you are misinformed because Frogspawn DO in fact have sweeper tentacles, and they normally extend in the evenings! Any site you look at will have it listed in the description! I.E.: Frogspawn Coral - Branched
The Frogspawn Coral is a large polyp stony coral (LPS) often referred to as the Wall, Octopus, Grape, or Honey Coral. Its polyps remain visible throughout both the day and night, resembling a mass of fish eggs or frog eggs, hence one of its common names Frogspawn. Its coloration is green or brown to tan in color. With its appearance and coloration it would make a nice addition to any reef aquarium.
During the evenings, its sweeper tentacles can extend up to six inches beyond its base into the reef aquarium surroundings. It will sting other neighboring corals in the reef aquarium, therefore, it is best to leave plenty of room between itself and other types of corals. It is moderately difficult to maintain, but it is a popular coral that will thrive under the proper conditions. It will need to have moderate to heavy lighting combined with moderate water movement within the aquarium. For continued good health, it will also require the addition of calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water.
The symbiotic algae zooxanthellae hosted within its body provides the majority of its nutritional requirements from photosynthesis. It will also benefit from additional food in the form of micro-plankton or brine shrimp.
I went back and re-read my previous post. And I now realise that I made it sound like I said that they have NO sweepers. My post was ment to say that they don't use the sweepers for feeding. While Euphyllias DO infact have sweepers, they are seldomly seen.
Most Euphyllias close up at night and don't sent out sweepers. They are mainly used as defence and NOT for feeding.
Euphyllias will only send out the sweepers when something is encroaching on it. If no other corals are within normal distance when it's fully inflated, it won't send them out. If you move something close to them, or if something grows into it's space, it is POSSIBLE that you could see them.

nwdyr

I have many frogspawn , hammers and torches. I try to target feed them at least 3x per week. I have seen sweepers ,but not that often. I have also never seen them "sting" anything ,maybe because I feed them often
I also have heard people say they NEED strong lighting , but mine have grown and done better under CFL and t5's then under MH. Just my experience. I feed mine any frozen foods Rod's , Mysis shrimp , beef heart etc.. They are not that high maintenance and look very nice in groups! I was afraid of them b/c of people saying they are hard to keep and that they will harm everything in the tank , but like I said I never had problems with them at all

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by nwdyr
http:///forum/post/2699822
I have many frogspawn , hammers and torches. I try to target feed them at least 3x per week. I have seen sweepers ,but not that often. I have also never seen them "sting" anything ,maybe because I feed them often
I also have heard people say they NEED strong lighting , but mine have grown and done better under CFL and t5's then under MH. Just my experience. I feed mine any frozen foods Rod's , Mysis shrimp , beef heart etc.. They are not that high maintenance and look very nice in groups! I was afraid of them b/c of people saying they are hard to keep and that they will harm everything in the tank , but like I said I never had problems with them at all

First off...those are BEAUTIFUL...
Second...You are right about them not needing MH lighting...I wouldn't suggest going with CFL, but if they were high up then maybe...
And third...Spot feeding can really benefit ANY Euphyllias...but it is not required...

b_clark711

Originally Posted by nwdyr
http:///forum/post/2699822

WOW! Dude, hammer & frogspawn are by far my favorite of the LPS coral, and possibly my favorite coral period! Those are beautiful. And while I don't have as many as you, I to have kept frogspawn & hammer coral since I started my tank back in 1999, and they have NEVER stung anything. BUT, anything you read says that they have the capability of stinging others, so it's better safe than sorry, but obviously your hammer & frogspawn are in close proximity and don't sting one another, so it just goes to show you that the info you get may not always be right in every case. I have seen my frogspawn's (which is branching and he is HUGE) sweeper tentacles only a few times as well, but my metallic green wall hammer I see just about every night that I turn on the actinics and especially when I shut off the actinics and turn on the lunars. I will have to say though, seeing your hammers & frogspawn that close, is causing me to place mine in close proximity, of course I will continue to monitor, but I have another frogspawn arriving today, and I want to group this one with the one I currently own. As far as feeding goes, I have those saltwater mix packs of frozen cubes. I take those, drop it in a cup, swirl it around in some aquarium water to thaw and break it up, suck it up in a turkey baster, and spot feed about 2-3 times per week! Again, great looking hammer & frogspawn dude!

apos

I've never successfully gotten my frogspawn to accept food. I've tried different times of day, seeding the water with a little food to wake it up before feeding, leaving the pumps off for a long time so that the food won't just blow away... never seen it move anything into its mouth, or even really try to. The only things that could have been sweeper tentacles were strange very thin and brown stringy things: looking nothing like pics I have seen. When I try to force the issue by trying to get some mysis right onto the mouth, the usual response is that the food ends up floating away with some sort of mucus stuck to it (probably because I agitated it too much).
Nevertheless my two heads have split into four. I've heard that starving LPS will swell, so growth is not always a good sign: but does this asexual reproduction bode well for me meeting its needs?

I have a nice size frogspawn in the corner of my tank that gets medium light. It looks great. The only problem I have with it that it stings me. When I move the frogspawn it releases some of its heads and when I'm not looking one of them attaches to me and stings the hell out me.
I had a bump under skin for about two weeks after and my finger when numb. I've only heard one other person that this happened to but be careful when handling them.
But the way it gets whatever passes by, I don't spot feed at all.

mr_x

i spot feed. turn all the pumps off and they will take it in. they are much slower at bringing the food in than any other lps i've kept though. 30 minutes or better. i usually use a mixture of misis and frozen cyclo-peeze.

b_clark711

Originally Posted by privatejoker
http:///forum/post/2706715
I have a nice size frogspawn in the corner of my tank that gets medium light. It looks great. The only problem I have with it that it stings me. When I move the frogspawn it releases some of its heads and when I'm not looking one of them attaches to me and stings the hell out me.
I had a bump under skin for about two weeks after and my finger when numb. I've only heard one other person that this happened to but be careful when handling them.
But the way it gets whatever passes by, I don't spot feed at all.
I haven't heard of them stinging anyone. That's crazy! I just handled mine yesterday, and it's "fleshy polyps" or whatever touched my hand several times, but no ill effects. That's crazy!