Feeding advice

partonks

While going through the cycling process, I have become quite well versed in LR, LS, and water chemistry. However, now I have a cycled, stable 50g reef with 75lbs LR, 50lbs LS, and no livestock. I am preparing to add a clean up crew (from SWF.com) and my first fish is going to be a true perc. I wanted some advice on feeding, i.e., what foods to buy, what needs to be added for the inverts. The cleaner will be first and are a mixture of snails, crabs, stars, and one shrimp. I know the crabs and snails will feed on algae, but I didn't know if some base food was required for the shrimp and stars for the first few days. Also, what should I plan to feed the perc once I get her? If this is all posted elsewhere, sorry for the repeated question, just having a hard time finding it.
Thanks,
Kevin

flydan

Hey,
Your clean-up crew does not need to be fed. They will just do their jobs and clean up stuff in your tank. (When I direct feed my corals I do give my brittle stars and shrimp a treat of silversides or krill.)
As far as the clown goes, just ask the lfs what it's eating when you pick it up. Mine loves brine shrimp but regular brine shrimp doesn't have much nutritional value. I use Brine Plus as well as Formula One.
BTW, follow the acclimation procedures to the letter when you get your shipment from SWF. Snails especially are sensitive to sg changes.
Have fun!

piscesblue

If a Perc is going to be your first fish, buy a pair. Percs get lonely and will do better with a companion to swim around with, it'll cut down on the stress.

piscesblue

If a Perc is going to be your first fish, buy a pair. Percs get lonely and will do better with a companion to swim around with, it'll cut down on the stress.