Feeding Anemone Scallops From Grocery Store

bas12547

LFS said that I could feed my Anemone Scallops From Grocery Store.
Makes sense, but wanted to see what others thought about the idea.
Brian

buzz

I tried it with mine, and it wouldn't eat them. I have heard of others that feed with scallop and they eat just fine.

clarkiiboi

I dont know what anemone you have, but my condi and hatian (sp) both eat silversides. I had that left over from a snowflake eel my hubbie bought and I took back.
Tell us which one(s) you have.

waterwolf

Try a small piece of shrimp. That always worked for me. Condys are very easy to maintain that way just make sure they eat it all. Now host anenomes thats a different story. Make sure they have good lighting, water flow & quality. Feed those very sparingly and only when they are fully open and actively take food. I have had good luck with the Heteractis species and rarely feed them(unlike the condys which seem to eat on a more regular basis). As for the Stoichactis(carpet) anenomes I have had limited success with them and would recommend those to experts only. I think successful keeping of host anenomes goes far beyond feeding.

waterwolf

Sebae anenomes on a scale of 1-10 I rate as a 5 for care(condys=10, indopacific carpets=1). The most important thing to caring for a sebae is water quality. Keep specific gravity from 1.024-1.025. Nitrates must be 0. Strong lighting is a must. Good water flow is also needed. Keep mixed water ready because they do well with frequent water changes. A reliable supplement can be added but use no more than 50% of what they suggest to add. Sebae anenomes will swell up to massive sizes with tentacles swollen and fully extended, this is the time to feed them a small morsel. I have only feed them like once every 2 months and they did fine. I consider it a failure when they die before a year and a success when they live over 2.

sunken ship

Anenomes all have there own personalities. Some are picky and some aren't. Some people feed their anemones twice a week, others feed once a month. Anemones can be picky with what they eat, some will eat krill, some will eat scallops, some squid, some pieces of shrimp that you can buy at your local grocery store. Just try a few different kinds of food to find out what your anemone likes, and go with that.

bee2isme

I agree with Sunken Ship. Anenomes have personalities. I've tried the store bought scallops once myself and found that none of them would have anything to do with it except for my atlantic anenome. They all like regular shimp and krill . Except for my sebae . I have found it to be the most difficult to feed , finneky about everything and tempermental along with my bubble anenome.. Baby brine seem to be they're favorite.All you can do is try different foods until you find one that they like. My kids feed them goldfish on occasion to see them in action catching their own food. Good luck with your anenome.

plum70rt

Scallops!!:eek: WoW you are spoiling him, eat the Scallops yourself, feed them silversides , or go to Walmat or supermarket and buy a Seafood Mix , has Clams ,Shrimp , fish,squid, for like 4 bucks