Feeding clowns

fishwater

The food I got for my clowns sinks as soon as I place it in the tank. It is Kent's platinum and they are little pellets. Will my clowns still eat the food from the bottom or should I get some type of floating food? What type of food do ya'll suggest. Thanks.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by fishwater
The food I got for my clowns sinks as soon as I place it in the tank. It is Kent's platinum and they are little pellets. Will my clowns still eat the food from the bottom or should I get some type of floating food? What type of food do ya'll suggest. Thanks.
Frozen formula foods are the best. They offer a variety of ocean meat and some algae.

f14peter

My first clown was a bit finicky, really only ate the frozen mysis shrimp while in the QT and when first introduced into the main tank. However, now that she's been there for a while, she's learned (Hunger is a powerful urge!) to like the variety of pellet, the afore mentioned frozen shrimp, the frozen Formula 1, and ocassional flake food . . . because that's all there is (We only give one type of food at a time to "Encourage" her to eat what's offered). That and having to compete with 5 chromis has made her go after the food with much more enthusiasm.
The clown currently in the QT vigorously gobbles down anything we gave him.
Also, because we currently only have fairly small fish, when pellet is on the night's menu, I'll put it on a small dish and crush/crumble some of it up with the back of a spoon. I noticed that the fish would shy away from the larger pieces, breaking them up makes them easier to eat, and the smaller pieces usually don't sink as fast, some even floats. Likewise with the frozen food, I'll cut a few slices off the cube, soak them for a bit in a small glass cup filled with water from the tank, then mash them up into smaller pieces.