Feeding Corals?

newbieabc

With corals like frogspawn, mushrooms, kenya trees, and xeina, is it necassary to feed phytoplankton? I know they mostly need only the light, but would feeding marinesnow for example stimulate growth at all?
Thanks,
Austin

m0nk

Certain coral benefits from additional feeding since in the wild they get only about 90% of their food from the algea that live inside their tissue (where the sunlight comes in). LPS and SPS get extreme benefit from additional food. Phytoplankton, Zooplankton, Cyclop-eeze are a few good sources. Some people also cut up silversides and other frozen or fresh saltwater fish to feed their coral.

trippkid

I use mostly Zooplankton type foods and Cyclop-ezze, Phytoplankton very sparingly, I don't have many things that benefit from it. The frogspawn and the "shrooms" can eat larger meatier foods, while the softies prefer phytoplankton type food.
Just don't over do it, feed very sparingly,IMO.
Not to steal the thread, but Monk, what's up, how is it going? Are the frags still alive, shoot me an e-mail and let me know how things are going for you these days.

Matt

zeroc

i've started feeding a product called Coral Frenzy ( http://www.coralfrenzy.com this is a link to the maker not a competitor) so far so good, I'll give an update in the coral section after a while it's only been a week and it's only been feed to the tank twice but I have a Digi that has definitely picked up speed in growing as well as a plating monti. hopefully some of my zoos and palys will take off next.

peckhead

Originally Posted by ZeroC
i've started feeding a product called Coral Frenzy ( http://www.coralfrenzy.com this is a link to the maker not a competitor) so far so good, I'll give an update in the coral section after a while it's only been a week and it's only been feed to the tank twice but I have a Digi that has definitely picked up speed in growing as well as a plating monti. hopefully some of my zoos and palys will take off next.

i have a little sample of that stuff but i dont really use it because i dont know whats in it or if its gonna make phosphates and whatnot...how is it?

zeroc

so far so good for me. as it says right on the website it contains:
Oyster Larvae, Salmon Roe, Fish Protein, Rotifers, Copepods, Daphnia, Dunaliella salina, Haematococcus Pluvialis, Spirulina, & Schizochytrium. It is rich in amino acids, proteins, carotenoids, HUFA, PUFA, & Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids.