Feeding Cyclop-eeze to mandrinfish?

bp

Has anyone ever tried feeding cyclop-eeze to mandrinfish? I understand that mandrinfish eat pods only and my LFS said that cyclop-eeze is frozen pods? So does anyone have a mandrinfish eating cyclop-eeze and thriving??

fda483

Mine seems to be eating Cyclop-eeze, but I have only had him for a month so I would say its too early to tell how well he will do. Whenever I feed Cyclop-eeze he seems to become very active and picks on it as it lands on the rock. I have yet to see him take any directly out of the water stream.
I don't think I would count on the Cyclop-eeze as the only food source.

razoreqx

Originally posted by Tstaub3
Mine will eat frozen brine shrimp.

Mine too.. He loves brine shrimp..

townsdp

I used frozen cyclopeeze for my mandarin and he got active when I fed it. I saw him eat it but he still only lived about 3 months. He got very skinny after he depleted the pod population, despite the 'eeze'. I would definitely not depend on it for an only food source. I have heard that to live a long healthy life, 1 mandarin should have at least 80 - 100 lbs. of established live rock, but I don't know if that's accurate.

harlequin

I actually logged in at school to answer this one.
Not all mandarins will eat cyclops-eze. When you are at the store have the pet store feed them it first and see if the mandarin eats it, if it doesnt or the store refuses to show you, shop somewhere else. I personally have one that I searched over 6 months to finally find one that would eat it. My friend made the mistake of believing the LFS guy that a mated pair she bought would eat the stuff and 2 months later they are dead of starvation, meanwhile over a year and mine is still alive and well. Scooter blennies also fall under this catagory. Check first because chances are it wont eat it.