feeding eels

goldfish

I have a moray eel (Morty) who seems to be a bit hungry. I feed him brine shrimp, sponge, silversides etc, but he seems to be "looking" for the food whenever I put it in. I know they do not see well, but all the other fish gobble up the food before he finds it. I'm sure he gets a piece or two every now and then, but most of the time he is frantically trying to find it. Any thoughts or suggestions to help Morty? He is in a 75 gallon with a Picasso trigger, a niger trigger, snowflake damsel, yellow tang and sailfin tang.

goldfish

I'm afraid the triggers will still get the food even on a stick. Today I put in some feeder fish and some guppies and the triggers were FAST! I just think that even on a stick they will get it before the eel does. I will keep trying though!! Thanks!

lionfish

LionFish says......
Yeah, your best luck would be to put some food on a feeder stick. If you have to you can use a net to catch the triggers while you feed the eel. I have done this on certain occasions when I worked at my fish store awhile back. Also, how often do you feed live food? If you didn't know, it is bad for the fish to have a lot of live freshwater feeders. Just a warning if you didn't know.

goldfish

Thanks. I used a net to put them in--did not add the water. Not so sure I can catch those triggers and hold them back to feed Morty. Sounds like a smart idea though....I may just have to try a feeding stick to make sure he gets something. He managed to get ahold of my finger the other day--had to shake him off!! Guess he enjoyed some skin and blood...

seapig

I was in LFS today and the had a device for feeding eels so that no other fish could get there grub. It was a T shapes tube that you put the eel food in the base of the clear tube and put it near the bottom. Supposedly only the eel can get at it. I think Ocean Nutrition made it............

pufferlover

I too have seen that special eel feeder and if you want one get to me thru my homepage and I can tell you where they are available they are as I remember without finding my book about 7 bucks. What I do with my eels is drop a small bunch of food in but have my eels food on his stick ready to go in my other hand, as soon as the faster fish go for the floating tidbits I zoom the stick to the eel he grabs his and is gone before they get there. Takes a bit of practice but works quite well.

goldfish

Thanks for the input. I have been to a lfs here, but have not seen any feeding sticks. I know someone who uses a coat hanger to put their eel's food on, but somehow that doesn't sit well with me. Do most lfs carry them? Maybe I just missed them.

skirk

Definitely don't use a coat hanger. It's metal is not a good thing for your water. As I stated in another post, whenever you have triggers and an eel then the task is going to be getting the food to the eel. You're right, triggers do eat it off a feeding stick just as they do anywhere else. You gotta be fast and perhaps get the "eel feeder" everyone is talking about. I haven't seen one but boy what a good idea if it works. It would definitely save some people a lot of hassle. Just my 2cents. HTH

pufferlover

Here is what I can tell you about the eel feeder. Book says allows eel to feed while keeping food away from other fish. Clear plastic allows visibilty of feeding behaviour. It sells for 7.29 and is by the same company that makes the feeder sticks. Any lfs should be able to order it if not get ahold of me and I'll help you find one.