feeding my goby

fire30b

hello everyone
I just purchased a Orangespotted Sleeper Goby. My question is what should I feed it? I was told that meaty foods, brine shrimp and black worms. Can this type of food be frozen? If I throw in frozen cubes of this type of food how would I know that this goby is getting it to eat.
I was told by LFS that is type of goby was okay for my tank which has been setup for about 6 month without any problems. When I read this book that I have about gobies it says that this type of goby is difficult to feed.
Any information or tips anyone have about the OSG would be appreciate.

tthemadd1

I have been told on many occasions that goby's are hard to maintain. Basically, you need alot of live rock. I mean lots of live rock. Unless they are sand sifters and then you really need to have a mature tank. This is because of the amount of bugs, critters, in the sand. Goby's graze constantly on these little bugs, which leads to them starving after they eat all the critters. I have been told that sand sifters will eat frozen brine shimp on the bottom of the tank and that some will even eat them in the water stream but be aware that alot(not all) pet stores are just trying to sell fish. I have had a few experiences where the owner of the store "a professional fish keeper" has given me the wrong information and led to the death of numerous fish. You need to read up on the types of fish you want and then look for healthy fish that feed on numerous occasions. I know that this takes the instant gratification out of the hobby but you are much better off in the long run. Also another good tip is that alot of fish are collected from reefs using small amounts of poisonous chemicals which in time destroy the internal systems of fish. This is why it is important to put fish on hold at the store and watch them eat a few times before buying. The fish should stay at the store at least a week/ week and a half before you take them home. Alot of people will buy them take them home and they die after a few days. Good luck and dont be discouraged. There are alot of great stores out there. Although i would recommend a small locally owned store where you can get to know the owner. This opens the door to getting the fish you want and not the fish they have to offer.
Themaddhatter