Feeding my new clowns

fishyfun2

Hello, newbie here. I just got two clowns today. What is the best thing to feed them? I know they are omnivorous. I currently have on hand some flake food and frozen Marine Cuisine carnivore food. What do you think? Do i need to get something else?
Thanks

gmann1139

I currently feed a mix of Formula One Frozen and Prime Reef Frozen to my pair of ocellaris. They get about 1/16th of a cube per day. I dose it with a drop of Zoe and Zoecon, and they've been fat and happy for the last year.

I have yet to feed anything my wouldn't eat. Just to name some of the things I feed flake, pellets, brine, mysis and seaweed. Oh and my hand when I feed their anemone.

jtt

i got a pair of really small clowns and they wouldnt eat anything i gave them until i stumbled upon cyclops. they love it.

I feed mine (GSM) my homemade food - shrimp, clams, oysters, white fish, cyclopeeze, green algae sheets, & vitamin supplements all blended in a blender. I froze on a sheet, then cut up into small squares. Really easy to make & I know that there's no additives, no "binders". Everyone loves it.

fishyfun2

Thank you for all the help. They ate the frozen marine cuisine i gave them last night. One of my books says to feed them twice a day. Isn't that too much? I'm just getting over some algae issues and don't want to pollute my tank with too much food. I think I'll stick with once a day like some have said already. Oh, and what are your proportions when you make your own food?

I don't pay too much attention to exact proportions. It all depends on what my local store has. I use a little freshly made saltwater to help it blend. I do look a bit weird asking for 3 clams, 4 shrimp, 1/4 lb of fish ...

rod buehle

Be careful when making your own food. Most seafood even the freshest/most natural often comes packed with tripolyphosphate. While not bad for human consumption, it will definitely fuel algae growth. Also be sure to get the whole animal.. The whole shrimp with head and eyeballs. Not just the tail/body.. whole squid, etc... Be very careful when chopping so that it does not turn to mush which seafood will very easily do. And be sure that the significant other is not at home because they wont like the smell

mr.clownfish

i feed mine homemade, but only when there in the hospital tank because they introduce a lot of nitrates into my tank because most of the stuff in there are black mussels from the beach and like 5 different kinds of shrimp formula 1 and formula 2 algae sheets tilapia and silversides.

unleashed

my fish currently are more so on flaked foods than most other type.. i feed veggie flakes 3-4 times a day (foxface eats all the time)3 times a week add omega one garlic pellets and when ever in the mood i feedother foods such as emerald entrese. formula 2 formula one .plankton mysis shrimp squid yum yums ..smaller fish eat the leftovers from my puffer as well.. but i found the veggie flakes to good for the smaller fish such as clown and midis blenny which cannot eat larger bite foods... I used to be real big on frozen foods daily and using flaked in between but its hard to find good suppliers here in the boonies without having everything shipped.. they tend to eat the flaked right away..

bigleman

Originally Posted by JTT
http:///forum/post/2947002
i got a pair of really small clowns and they wouldnt eat anything i gave them until i stumbled upon cyclops. they love it.
this is what i had to do
when i first got into SW, my first fish (ocellaris) would not eat any of the flake food i bought, i tried like 5 different kind
so after 4 days of him not eating, i picked up some cyclops and he ate it instantly!! i was so happy!

about 6 months ago i started doing a cyclops/brine mix because i added a school (5) of chromis.
but the are all big enough now that i could probably stop with the cyclops and start using mysis instead.

redimpala01

We just picked out our 2 maroon clowns last week and they are very picky eaters. We have Omega One Marine Flakes, Spectrum Mini Pellets, and Reef Chili. They will not touch anything but the Reef Chili (they devour it)
. I know they need better nutrition but only time will tell i guess.

jtt

Originally Posted by bigleman
http:///forum/post/2949864
this is what i had to do
when i first got into SW, my first fish (ocellaris) would not eat any of the flake food i bought, i tried like 5 different kind
so after 4 days of him not eating, i picked up some cyclops and he ate it instantly!! i was so happy!

about 6 months ago i started doing a cyclops/brine mix because i added a school (5) of chromis.
but the are all big enough now that i could probably stop with the cyclops and start using mysis instead.
yeah man, i tried flakes, pellets, live brine, frozen brine, mysis, rotifers, and they couldnt care less. then all of the sudden cyclops came along and they ate it like a fat child eating chocolate cake. i want to get them slowly to mysis in the coming months.