feeding our snowflake eel, please look.

harvey floyd

We just picked up our snowflake eel, he is about 10" long, very healthy and beautiful. At the lfs we were told to feed him gold fish feeders and inject him once a week with 1cc of zoe by kent. Is there a better way to do this, I don't want to go stabbing the poor guy.

rapt0r32

I have never heard of injecting. It would bring up a point if you had LR trying to catch the little guy. I feed mine frozen shrimp. I use tongs he seems to trust the tongs and not my hand ( which I consider a good thing since I dont want my hand biten)

That sounds like really BAD advice. I have heard of people soaking their frozen food in zoe. Are you sure that they meant actually giving the eel a shot? Maybe they meant to squirt the liquid into his mouth...Which is still a bad idea.
I would try switching to frozen krill or silversides and then soaking them in zoe. I don't know about this zoe stuff, but have heard others using it. It will take awhile to get him to frozen food, maybe even weeks. I have had my eel for about 1.5 weeks right now and he still hasn't eaten. But I think he is getting pretty hungry because he is starting to show interest in the food I keep waving in front of his face. And he is starting to trust the tongs.

guppie

Never feed and fish goldfish, they do not get any of the stuff they need form them. Try feeding freeze dried krill soaked in zoe, and use a feeding stick, I have 2 and they have always been fed that way. After you get him eatting form the feeding stick start giveing him some other types of food the same way. Good Luck

harvey floyd

Thanks for the advice! I will return the zoe to the lfs today. Generally we have never had a problem with them and this was his personal eel and its as healthy as can be. But I like the idea of frozen foods better. Should the frozen shrimp and such be allowed to thaw?

Maybe he meant to inject the feeder fish with the zoe prior to feeding? But feeders are a bad idea anyways. I think you have the idea now from the posts.
Good Luck