Feeding panther grouper(Krill?)

moorea

Hi
I am going to purchase a baby panther grouper from a friend who put it in his reef and realized it was a mistake.
I ain't a newbie at keeping fish but i ain't no pro either.Got a lot to learn.
The grouper will be in a 55ga with only a damsel to start.I understand the grouper will get huge and 55 will be too small and when its mouth gets to fit the damsel it will be gone (Won't let it happend).
What can i feed that grouper when it gets bigger?
I like a variety.I have chopped squid on the menu and read about krill but the krill i currently use floats.Will the bottom hugger grouper swim up to the surface to grab the krill?
What else can i feed him when it's bigger?
Thanks a bunch
Moorea :rolleyes:

perchpsk

i feed my panther grouper a mix of frozen krill, squid, formula one etc... they are aggressive feeders and have no problem going to the surface to feed

grouperhead

at one time i had a panther, and he was a total pig. he only stayed in the upper water column begging for food. i could hold a piece of food right above the water line and hed jump out to eat it. he ate everything, squid, krill, clams, brine, mysis, shrimp, silversides, and anything else put in the water. bo

goldfish

I have a panther in with my eel and triggers and he eats along with everyone at meal time!
We do a mix of krill, squid, mussels etc and he does just fine. Good luck!

M

mr.bubble

I dont have a panther but my friend does. she feeds him live goldfish /guppies, mysids, brine, squid, krill, and anything else.

platinum75

I just bought a panther grouper for $30. it is 4 inches long. is that a good price? I have a 75 gallon tank with a few live rocks. my grouper floats upside down a lot. he already ate my green damsel. i have one yellow tail damsel left.
I didn't even know what a panther grouper was, i just bought him cause i liked the way his fins moved and I liked his spots.
I want to make a reef eventually, why can't groupers be reef fish?

M

mr.bubble

I dont think you should of bought that grouper without doing any reaserch on it. that is a good price. it is not recomended for reefs cuase it will eat some inverts and most small fish.

[hr]
WARNING: I AM A NEWBIE AND MIGHT GIVE INCORRECT ADVICE! CHECK WITH SOMENE ELSE BEFORE TAKING MY ADVICE!