feeding phytoplankton

greebs

Do I need to turn off powerhead and power filter when feeding D.T's? This stuff is quite expensive so I want to make sure I'm doing it right?
Also directions say to feed every other day. Using their directions, this bottle sure doesn't last very long. Is this something a person needs to continue to buy and feed forever in a reef tank or do these live phytoplankton eventually breed and multiply?
I'm just not up on this product and seeing the price of it makes me hope that I don't need to be buying that in bulk as long as I have my reef tank.
Thanks all.

slick

Just shut off your protien skimmer for a few hrs after you feed your corals. Leave the ph's on to help move the water around.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Do you need to feed the reef tank? I've yet to add anything except fish food. What are you feeding the DT to?

nm reef

Check this link for info on DT's Phyto plankton ...I've used DT's in my reef for close to 24 months on average of twice a week. The phyto plankton that is not directly used by assorted corals will benefit the micro fauna that will in turn benefit the corals. Personally I think it is a quality product that can be a benefit to a balanced/diverse reef.
I use two basic methods to apply it....I sometimes add it direct to the reef(a few caps full poured in the reef)...or I mix it with the days menu and direct feed assorted corals with a turkey baster.As a rule I seldom run the sump/skimmer for a while after using DT's(I'll shut them off for a for 30 minutes or so):cool:

greebs

I guess I'm not even sure what I'm feeding it too. I'll admit reading other posts about how good of a product it was and blindly purchased thinking it was something I've got to do to have a heathy reef.
I'd be pleased if I found out I don't need to add the stuff to feed my sea life. I guess originally I was thinking that it was for the corals, feather dusters, etc.