Feeding Sun Coral

jess

I just got a Sun Coral on Friday night. The person at the Store told me that and easy why to feed it and this is how he feed them in the store: I pick the Coral up in a container (filled with my tank water of course) and I squirt the Brine Shrimp in the container, constently moving the water around be it does not fall to the bottom. THis works great but when I do it not all of the polyups want to open and I have to feed all the them? Do I just have to wait until THENY want to open?

purple tang

I wait till the tank lights are out and all polyps are open. I use a baster(used only for the aquarium) and squirt brine shrimp at each of the polyps.

mlm

I see these things while scuba diving all the time attached to rig legs in the Gulf of Mexico. It weird that they only open at night in the tank b/c they are open when I see them during the day. I think that it might have somthing to do with the high nutrient outflow from the Misssippi River. I know that they do not need light so they wood be good in an aquarium with low light, but they will tolarate higher light levels.

mlm

My diving parter has one that we collected from the Gulf Of Mexico and it did not fully open for a couple of weeks so you may just have to give it some time.

ebeckels

mine are half and half....sometimes open during the day and most of the time at night. I squirt some food in with a fish only baster every once in a while too, as they eat phytoplankton every day.
-Eric

wamp

I have found the best way to feed them is with an eel feeding tube. I just put the end near the polyps and drop a cube of frozen shrimp down it. As it dissolves it sinks down and the polyps open as soon as the first one gets near it.. this way I do not touch my water or the polyps.. By the way mine seem to always be open.. :)

jonthefb

This may be totlly off the subjects, but mlm, how in th eheck were you able to collect specimens off of the coast of mexico. While i was in cancun on the beach, a huge specimen of green algae washed ashore and i wanted to bring it back to the us with me but, fear of the customs people worked as a deterrant. HOw did you do this?

blueberryboomer

I wait til I turn the white lights out to feed ours, the ones that are not out when the white lights are on come out shortly after and then I feed them brine from a medicine dropper. Works Great...Lisa

wamp

You can get an eel feeser from your LFS.. if they do not have one you can order one.. It works great

predator

I useally take my'n out and puut it in a cup.Take it in the dark for a little while and then feed them.My'n are rarely out during the day so for me it's the best way.Plus I tend to over feed my tank anyway so it helps me keep my amonia/nitrates down

wrigley11

I feed mine brine or something else 3-4 time a week... I use bioplankton in the tank also so I really don't even have to feed.