Feeding Volitan??

semaj

Hi all,
I have a Volitan Lion and all he is eating right now is rosies...I'm trying to transfer to Silversides....any advice.
I've also heard that they eat Chicken McNuggets...is this true?

bailey52

chicken mcnuggets?? Ha like breaded.... i dont know about that.. Mcdonalds oil in my tank= a problem with me

B

barkdog

I really doubt a lion would last long on a diet of McDonalds.
I've had more luck with freeze dried and frozen krill with my lion. At first I used a feeding stick and made the shrimp act evasive. That got him interested and he would bite. After a week or so of that, all I had to do wasa flick the shrimp at him. Now all I do is drop food in the tank for him and everyone else to share. He at least samples anything I put in the tank now. He even eats flakes from time to time.
I haven't tried silversides since I had my first disasterous lionfish experience a few years ago. I later heard that silversides arent the best diet. But who knows... I tend to get a lot of conflicting information from people on these subjects...

wanabebell

ok you got him eatin thats great!
now let him get hungry (4-6 days) sounds mean but let him be
then stick the silver side on a feeding stick. just act like the fish is swimmin up to him and see what he does.
If he dosent take it at first move it like its goin to swim to the right then left. If your lion still dosnt take it, just wait until hes hungrier
Do not feed your lion anythin else until he eats the silverside.
they learn that if your gonna be reasonable, that they can wait to get what they want

psusocr1

feed him a rosie or two then trick him and throw in a sliverside and he will grab it!!then just throw silversides from then on

fisherson

my lion i've had for about 2 months won't take anything but rosies either and i've tried the feeding stick idea..the starving idea.. now i feed him rosies and ... the fish that look like goldfish..the name escapes me right now....
Will he survive on rosies alone?

whitey

Feeder fish can easily carry disease and pollute your tank.
I'd keep working on getting him on frozen.
Mine finally took krill after 6 or 7 days.
Thaw the krill, then submerse and squeeze it in water so it will sink instead of float.
Then take a few and try to flick them in the direction of your lion so theyre moving.
I also added one drop of garlic right into the water at the same moment.
The lion inhaled the krill and will now eat anything that goes in the tank including pieces of Formula 1 that I give to the Angel.

aspen

i feed my lion raw shrimp and squid. he will only eat it if i hand feed it to him. he is so spoiled

semaj

okokok, the Mrs. fed him a huge freshwater fish (not rosie) and his stomach is huge. Once he's done digesting that I will give a go at the silversides/squid.
He has turned real dark (his stripes I mean). Is that normal???

semaj

Originally Posted by Semaj
He has turned real dark (his stripes I mean). Is that normal???

Anyone???

boalgf

My old V Lion liked ghost shrimp. Better than freshwater fish for him. Eventually I weaned him to frozen shrimp/silversides.