Feeding Yellow Tangs

lm

I have an exiting tank that has lots of coraline algea throughout the tank. I was wondering if I purchase a couple yellow tangs (that love to eat algea) if they can live on coraline algea alone without adding anything such as spinach to satisfy there cravings for algea? I will also feed pellets or flakes that my other fish receive. I am not trying to get rid of my coraline, just was wondering??

mantisman51

Coraline algae? You mean the red/pink stuff all over your living rock? If so, YES! They love it and it gives them all their nutritional needs-not.

nycbob

the last post wasnt very nice. tangs dont war coraline algae. coraline algae r mostly calcium. tangs need the green stuff.

coastie81

are you joking, they cannot eat that stuff. Have you ever tried to scrape it off the walls of your tank?? it is extremely hard. Also do research on yellow tangs before you even think of getting one!!!!!!

florida joe

I have never personally nor in talking to people found that tangs use coraline as part of their everyday diet IMO you must supplement their diet with nori

mantisman51

Sorry. I do apologize, sincerely. As posted by nycbob. Coraline is calceous and I have never witnessed any of my tangs consuming it. I would guess that it would be too hard for them to eat, even if they wanted to. I was trying to say "no" in a humerous way, that could have offended or confused the poster.