Feeding ?

prinny

How do you know what is enough or what is too much?
Also, we had a clown die today, before I could retrieve him, the peppermint shrip grabbed him and took him away. What should I do?

ocellaris_keeper

Overfeeding your fish will stress the biofilter (raising the Nitrates and ammonia levels). If you have a lot of hermit crabs and shrimp ( I have around 25 hermits and two shrimp) and any extra food that gets to the bottom of the tank is eaten in less than an hour.
When the fish start to show signs of obesity that's when you should cut down on the feeding.
Your shrimp is doing it's job - the ammonia from the clown is like a call to shrimp/hermits and it's their job to clean up your tank. If the ammonia level of your tank did not spike witht he death of this fish then the shrimp has a nice thing to eat.

prinny

Our Naso Tang thinks he needs to eat all the time. I read that you feed the anemoies once weekly, is this correct?

Fish can be rather stupid when it comes to feeding. They will often times eat as long as food is available and I have even heard of fish eating to death. Rule of thumb is....feed a small pinch at a time, if none of it hits the bottom, then add another small pinch. Once the fish are no longer eating it all before some hits to bottom, then that should be enough. If you have inverts, then making sure some gets to the bottom is good to give them a variety in their diet. Just my own experience, and it has worked for me.