few questions and update

jared_p

OK well iv added two damsels now after its been up and running with the rock that's in it for about 3 weeks. no pictures with the new fish but they have been doing good the past 3 days. eating good and swimming around a lot and finding lots of little caves and junk. Anyways there is one thing i need to know there is like sand or that's what it looks like gathering on the windows and i use a brush to get it off but after a few hours it clears up then few more hours its back on the glass. what can i do to keep this off the glass. here is a picture to give you an idea you can see it on the back glass and right glass panel you can tell very good.

OK here is another thing i need to know there is white clumps that gather on top the tank looks like clumps of salt but if all this salt was evaporating would my SG go down? and it doesn't so what is it? and how can i stop it?
also should i always run carbon or just ever now and then? i have my HOB filter with 2 sponges one with big pores one with small then i am debating on taking the carbon out and putting a sock of LR in or what?
thanks for all the help so far didn't think id make it this far i know i wouldn't of without this forum.

bpro32

the sand on the glass isn't a big deal itwill eventually get bacteria stuck to it to weigh it down enough to settle on the bottom. the same thing happened to me when I started my tank. The salt creep isn't a big deal either. Salt creep will not affect sg, don't worry about that one.
run the carbon all the time

bpro32

I am in no way an expert so if I'm wrong I wont be offended if anybody chimes in to correct me haha

jared_p

is it a bad idea to not have carbon? lol its been running for the day without it to get more flow.
and how long did it take for your sand to weigh down to the bottom?

rotarymagic

I smear a very thin layer of vaseline on the inside of the upper part of the glass.. it prevents creep...

bpro32

A lot of people don't run carbon but if you want to its a good idea to run it all the time. It took maybe a week or two before the sand stopped coming back up on my glass so just be patient.

bpro32

Hey I was just re-reading the 101 tips at the top of this forum and saw this.
89. RUNNING CARBON IN YOUR TANK IS A GOOD IDEA. Using carbon in your tank for at least a few days out of the month will help remove any harmful toxins or pollutants that may have gotten into your water. Many people use carbon 24/7 and this is also an acceptable practice.