fighting a losing battle (phosphate) Hellpppp

devyn339

ok so i have a 90 gallon reef tank withe 2 ehiem canister filters and a sump/refugium my phosphates have been in my tank for a while as soon as i get them down they go right back up ?? ive tried sea gel water changes and chemi pure and bio beads nothing seems to be working the canister filters are kinda old i was wondering if the media could contain the phosphates and release them ?? any help would be greatly appreciated

flower

First, are you feeding frozen foods? You have to rinse it. Thaw the cube out in a cup of RO water, then dump the thawed food with the water in a fishnet. Pour another cup of RO water over the food in the fish net and then feed the food to the fish by inverting the net in the water.
Only use RO water, not tap or well water, for rinsing foods, water changes or top offs.
Your canister may hold nitrates but I never heard (that does not mean it can’t be so) of phosphates being held by canister media.
I do my water changes and if wheI test, I see any phosphates, and I do mean any…I use a product called Posbuster pro or PhosphateX. I run Purigen in my canisters, it is expensive but reusable and IMO works better than anything on the market. I only needed the phosphate removers maybe 2Xs in a year because the purigen and water changes took care of it like it should.
My phosphates come from the frozen foods I use, and things got much better after Meowzer told me to rinse it before feeding the fish.
I hope this helps.

J

juice28

what are you stocked with? and whattype of et up is it? LR? reef FO? are you havin an algae problem as well? do you use tap water?

geoj

If you run carbon test it many release loads of phosphate right out of the bag new...

devyn339

ok i put my sea gel into my canister and they are about gone today and yea i have seen alot more algea since i got new lights last week i got 2 metal halide 150 watt 20k

J

juice28

thats alot of light, which would explain the algae boom with new bulbs try cutting your lights back.

nikesb

you shouldnt really need much more than 5. as for phosphates, have you tried running gfo? another way to get them down is carbon dosing (vodka, biopellets) or stuff like bio-fuel