Fiji Dive Pics

stacyt

I saw several titan triggers. A couple got a little aggressive. The biggest that I saw was about 24". They are awesome to see.

harlequinnut

Awesome Pictures stacy, thanks for sharing. I can't wait till the little ones grow up so I can take them on a dive trip. The last time I went diving was 10 years ago in Grand Cayman when it was just me and the girlfriend(now wife).

stacyt

For the most part there was a lot to see. A couple of guys in my dive group had been there about 8 years ago, and said that the reefs where in much better shape back then, and there where a lot more larger fish than we saw on this trip. The one fish that I would have loved to get a picture of was a huge Emperor Angel he was gorgeuos, but I had given my camera to a buddy to take some pics on one of the wreck dives. Their is definatly lots of die off on the reefs do to collecting, divers who touch, and bang around on the reefs, and a lot of boats used to drop their anchors on the reefs. Now most reefs have a permant line thats attached to the bottom, away from the reef, that they tie off to. Most of the dive boats also follow divers down, and the rule of thumb is that you should not be touching anything, but if you need to for any reason your supposed to only use one finger, and not touch any corals, just rock.

S

slofish

very nice pics.... makes me wanna go to fiji right now
... alright.. maybe later

gmen

Originally posted by StacyT
Some acros on one of the wreck dives that we did.

this pic is sick....that is awesome... I bet you like man why cant i grab just one coral!!!

robchuck

Stacy,
Awesome pics! I really admire the shot of the bannerfish. Do you happen to have a higher res shot of that?

new_noob

For the most part there was a lot to see. A couple of guys in my dive group had been there about 8 years ago, and said that the reefs where in much better shape back then, and there where a lot more larger fish than we saw on this trip. The one fish that I would have loved to get a picture of was a huge Emperor Angel he was gorgeuos, but I had given my camera to a buddy to take some pics on one of the wreck dives. Their is definatly lots of die off on the reefs do to collecting, divers who touch, and bang around on the reefs, and a lot of boats used to drop their anchors on the reefs. Now most reefs have a permant line thats attached to the bottom, away from the reef, that they tie off to. Most of the dive boats also follow divers down, and the rule of thumb is that you should not be touching anything, but if you need to for any reason your supposed to only use one finger, and not touch any corals, just rock.

people now-a-days dont take care of the ocean, boats, gas, oil, theft, touching, chemicals. URGG, it makes me mad that people have the nerve to do that!!! if i lived by the ocean, i would do everything EVERYTHING in my power to stop these people.............
But anyways, angels in the wild get so big and beautiful! did you use an underwater digital camera? or just a normal underwater camera? I have been trying to get a digital underwater camera forever.

stacyt

gmen,
I saw a few things that I'd loved to have brought home. As I was walking along the beach there where all sorts of peices of LR laying around. Just kept seeing $$ every where I looked.
New_Noob,
All 3 of us that took cameras had digitals. I was using the 4 MP Sony, and the other 2 where using the 3 MP cameras. We got the marine packs for the cameras. Digital is the only way to go. I was hoping to take my Olympuse C-740, but the underwater housing that I ordered for it hasn't come in yet. A few years ago Sony was the only camera that I could find that had an affordable underwater housing. Now you can find one for just about most makes of cameras.
RobChuck,
I had to lower the resolution on the pics to post them. If you want I can email them to you, or I will setup something on 1 of my web servers in the next couple of days that you could download it from.

legend

great pics, i went diving in the bahama's this past summer and had a great time. I never realized how aggressive french angelfish are. Only the big ones though, the tiny ones are timid. They were these two huge ones probably about 20" in length that you had to fight away. I did'nt see any sharks, saw a couple of rays, lots of parrot fish and some groupers.
Wish i could post pics but i dont have a scanner.

robchuck

RobChuck,
I had to lower the resolution on the pics to post them. If you want I can email them to you, or I will setup something on 1 of my web servers in the next couple of days that you could download it from.
Stacy, if you could send the high res photo of the bannerfish to robhartmann@NOSPAMameritech.net (remove NO SPAM of course), I would greatly appreciate it! If you don't mind, it will be taking up residence on my desktop.
Your pics and stories are fascinating. I hope to be able to make it to the South Pacific sometime during my life.

stacyt

I got an error message on the mail delivery. I have to take of to work. I'll retry again, but if it doesn't go through I'll retry this afternoon.