Fiji Live Rock Question

gregg21

I have a 180 gallon tank. In it I plan on having these fish.
Miniatus Grouper
Imperator Angel
Niger Trigger
Naso Tang
Yellow Tang
Red Sea SailFin Tang
Volitan Lionfish
Now I am looking to add live rock. I am going to get some fiji live rock. My fish guy told me that it would take about 200 lbs of live rock. My question is, how do you figure out how much live rock to use and with all those fish that I want to keep to maturity, isn't 200 lbs too much for them to have enough room to swim around in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg

reefy

It's mainly your own preference. I've been told not to go by weight but to fill your tank approximately 1/3 with LR. That way you don't take up too much water volume. The less water - the less creatures you can support. For a 180 gal, I would say about 150 lbs would do. But, if you like a lot of rock, go with more.

It sounds like a lot of rock, but by volume it really isn't. Rock is heavy. The proper ratio is 1.5 lbs per gallon for good biological filtration. Are you also using a DSB as part of your filtration system? These two things will give you a healthier tank. The rock work also gives your fish places to hide and sleep.
If you have not ordered your rock yet do a search for Walt Smith. The rock he ships seems to come in smaller pieces (2-4 lbs each). You will want some larger pieces to help build the structure and make it interesting as well a pleasing to the eye. I have 5 or 6 pieces that are 10 lbs each. I have only found one site that wholesales from someone different than Walt. You can call and ask them before you order and specify 7-10 lb pieces. On the sites that don't list a phone number, I have specified 7-10 lb pieces in the order instructions and gotten 2-4 lb pieces! We have 4 tanks and have ordered a lot of rock. It is worth your time to shop arround, rock is expensive and you will be looking at it for a long time. HTH tpritchard@ncnets.net

ed r

Fiji rock is heavier than Marshall Island, I believe. I used 50 lbs in my 55g and consider it sparsely populated with rock. I think the 200 lbs in a 180g sounds like good advice. Many other reefers who are not worried about keeping large open areas, go with up to 2 lbs per gallon. That is not what you want, but the 1 lb plus should work well.