Fiji Rock

michaud65

I just purchased some Fiji rock and was wondering if others have rock from this origin and what they think about it!

sfoister

If it's fiji it's fiji.. tonga is tonga and buna is buna. Fiji is from fiji and tonga is from the kingdom of tonga.
No such thing as fiji tonga. Two different countries. :)
Fiji is good rock. Most use it. I use mostly fiji and add some tonga in to create some ledges and crevaces. Tonga is $13 a pound down here though. Fiji is $6.

dogstar

Fiji premeum is what most people use as their main rock. Its great rock.
Tonga has big branching shapes ( dead encrusted staghorn ) and Buna has smaller branching shapes. Many use these for added decoration because of the shapes.

sfoister

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Fiji premeum is what most people use as their main rock. Its great rock.
Tonga has big branching shapes ( dead encrusted staghorn ) and Buna has smaller branching shapes. Many use these for added decoration because of the shapes.
On the subject of Tonga.. I paid $200 for a 16lb piece that was completely hollow. It was a bunch of branches stuck together on the top and the bottom with nothing in the middle, but from the outside it looks like a solid piece of rock with a bunch of holes. It's so massive and hollow that I now have 3 flame scallops resting inside of it and there is still room enough for all 3 of my chromis to swim through it. It's GREAT! It's going to be the centerpiece.
If you can afford tonga, go for it. At least one or two pieces looks really good.