filling a new tank

kevin34

i am breaking down my 125 and setting up a 55g frag tank. if I use mostly water from the 125 to fill the 55 will the tank go through a cycle? there will be no fish in this system. only corals. and not many corals to start. just a monti cap, a couple acros, some rics, one acan colony, and a maybe 10 zoa frags. i will be transfering some LR over to the 55 also. there will be about 100g total in the new system (55g frag tank and a 55g sump/fuge) so what would you say a good ratio is for old tank water to new saltwater. like 60g old/40g new? has anyone set up a tank this way before?

drtito

You will be fine I set up two diffrent tanks with water change "water" no cycle or problems.
Fill the new tank all the way with old water then add you rock and corals, all the extra water will go down to the sump, if you must add new water do a water change after its settled.
Good luck

d-dzel

Originally Posted by DrTITO
http:///forum/post/3106675
You will be fine I set up two diffrent tanks with water change "water" no cycle or problems.
Fill the new tank all the way with old water then add you rock and corals, all the extra water will go down to the sump, if you must add new water do a water change after its settled.
Good luck

+1
I did the same thing on my tanks and even when I moved. If you do get a cycle, it'll be close to nothing if anything.

d-dzel

Just do a small water change, maybe a 10-20% or so, just to be on the safe side since you will be stirring things up a bit