Filling up my 210

So I am at the stage where I am ready to fill up my 210, and I am curious, if any of you guys use your RO unit to initially fill up your tank, or you go buy RO water, and just use the RO unit for top offs and water changes?

casper1875

I have a 180 I'm hoping to start setting up by the end of summer. Are you going to do a fresh water run through first? I'm looking into buying two brine storage tanks. I saw a thread on here where he had two set up, one for fresh water to top off and one for saltwater to do changes. His RO unit was set up to fill both tanks. He had it so he could add a heater and powerhead and mix the salt right in the brine tank. I thought it was a great idea. I found a site that has them. They are around $100.00 each.

Originally Posted by casper1875
http:///forum/post/2672924
I have a 180 I'm hoping to start setting up by the end of summer. Are you going to do a fresh water run through first? I'm looking into buying two brine storage tanks. I saw a thread on here where he had two set up, one for fresh water to top off and one for saltwater to do changes. His RO unit was set up to fill both tanks. He had it so he could add a heater and powerhead and mix the salt right in the brine tank. I thought it was a great idea. I found a site that has them. They are around $100.00 each.

I am not entirely sure what you mean by doing a fresh start, but then again I am easily confused haha
I am just doing a strait FOWLR.
that RO idea is pretty neat though. I am curious if it is just my RO unit or is every one else's as slow as mine. It takes me about 1 minute to do one ounce of water, and be that there are like a 120 some ounces in a gallon, it would take for ever to fill up a 210 gallon tank.
How long does it take the average person's RO unit to make water?
By the way, I used to live in both Pottsville, and Pottstown PA.

casper1875

When I set up the 180 I'll fill the system with fresh water to check for leaks. Thanks to some help from here, I'm also going to check on the water flow by putting colored yarn tied to rocks and see how the flow moves in the tank. It is better to test everything before the saltwater goes in. I love living here. My favorite place is Oregon, just not enough jobs. I lived in HoodRiver for three years when I was young. Met my husband there. All his family is there. I really miss it. Nothing like Mt Hood.

Originally Posted by casper1875
http:///forum/post/2672930
When I set up the 180 I'll fill the system with fresh water to check for leaks. Thanks to some help from here, I'm also going to check on the water flow by putting colored yarn tied to rocks and see how the flow moves in the tank. It is better to test everything before the saltwater goes in. I love living here. My favorite place is Oregon, just not enough jobs. I lived in HoodRiver for three years when I was young. Met my husband there. All his family is there. I really miss it. Nothing like Mt Hood.
oh oh oh, yeah I definitely filled it up and let it sit with freshwater to check for leaks. Actually It didn't accomplish much because I let my 2 year old nephew swim in it first so It was kind of hard to tell if there was any leaks. After a few hours when the water from him swimming evaporated I could see there were no problems. The rock and yarn Idea is pretty neat, I never really thought of that. You are so right about the jobs in Oregon, it's ridiculous, that's why my wife and I had to move to Hawaii, Then after a couple years we decided to move back.
Just curious if anyone has let their RO unit completely fill up their tank, or if you guys just go buy the RO water first?
In addition, I just bought a Berlin X2 Turbo Protein Skimmer 50-225g w/Pump and I am curious if anyone thinks that is a decent Skimmer?

salt210

my RO creates 100gpd. it is going to flow very slow. I didnt know any better when I filled mine up.I went with tap water and used dechlorinator(sp?)

gnorman

Depends on how far your LFS or Walmart is and how dirty your home water is. I have a RO/DI and it takes about 1hr 20min to fill a 5gal jug. It is a 100gpd but because my drinking water is about 450ppm, my filters will need to be replaced earlier. Also, remember the higher the output (gpd) the lower the quality of RO you will get.
I would probably go for a Walmart for the initial (remember to test the water to make sure it's up to quality) unless your LFS is closer and has good rates on RO/DI water. And remember to check the LFS RO/DI too.

aquaknight

I couldn't imagine lugging 210gals from the LFS/Wal-Mart. I had to fill my 40 gallon sump, I added to my 29gal, it took 4 trips to the LFS. I winded up spending almost an complete RO/DI cost on gas (this was way back too), extra containers, etc. In all honesty, I would just by a new RO/DI geared for aquaria use (not a general G&E or whatever). I got 600gals before I had update my filters. If you calculate that out $150/600, equals 20¢ per gal. Cheaper then Wal-Mart. Not to mention a complete filter update, 3 prefilters, RO membrane, and DI resin, is only about $60. So from here out, it literally costs me pennies for water.
I did the 'freshwater fill' on my 125 as well. Just used the RO/DI unit to fill the tank, sump, and filters (skimmer), and run the tank. No leaks, so I added salt. Then added sand and rocks.

gnorman

AquaKnight, getting 210gal from a LFS/Walmart would be a pain. There are a lot of factors to consider, though. What type of car/gas mileage, how many jugs you have, how close is the LFS/Walmart, how much is a gal of water from your city, time involved, etc. Remember, it costs roughly 5gal total for 1gal RO (4gal discharge/1gal RO = 5gal Total). I know I am sounding a little anal, but anyone who knows anything about this hobby knows things add up. Luckily, creating your own RO/DI and Salt water is one of the only things in this hobby that can "save you money."
Anyway, The Egregious, your best bet is to research how much it would cost for either your RO or going to the LFS/Walmart. Hope that helps.

nofish

down here some lfs will delivler saltwater and or ro/di water...might be worth it..found a place that delivers 300 gal for 80 bucks..good luck...

So today I called up my Walmart and asked them if they sell filtered RO water by the gallon, or out of a dispenser. She had no Idea what I was talking about and said they have no unit were they sell purified water out of a dispenser. I described that the purified water they sell by the gallon might say on it, "filtered by RO or DI" and she said she had about 15 and that it would take a week and she could get another 30, and that 30 is the most they can get in at a time.
Unfortunately for my all of my LFS' are crap, and do not sell water in any fashion. So that leaves me with going and buying another RO/DI unit. Any certain model recommended?

aquaguy24

the first time i filled my 90g i used tap water cuz it was waaaaay faster then using my 50gpd ro/di unit.....i had no problems with hair aglea or anything...i have the corallife pure flow 2 .50gpd unit...$155 shipped..and im very happy with it..try gettin one with about 25-50gpd unit so the water moves slower through the system which equals better quality water...if u get anything higher i would get a 5 stage unit...