FILM ON TOP OF WATER

stalyun95

I HAVE A 100 GAL REEF TANK WITH 175LBS OF LIVE ROCK...PLENIUM AND 4 POWERHEADS FOR CIRC. TIDEPOOL II AND BERLIN TURBO SKIMMER...OVERFLOW TO THE TIDEPOOL OF COURSE.....MAG 9 TO REDELIVER FROM THE SUMP. MY QUESTION IS (WHY IS IT THAT I KEEP GETTING A SLIGHT FILM ON THE SURFACE OF THE WATER FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS AND THEN IT DISAPEARS SLOWLY TO ONLY REOCCUR IN A COUPLE OF DAYS.....THE FILM IS MILKY LOOKING FROM OUTSIDE THE TANK BUT IF YOU DIP SOMETHING WHITE INTO THE WATER AND PULL IT OUT ITS BROWN ALMOST LIKE A CORAL IS SLIMMING NITRATE IS ALSO LITTLE HIGH AROUND 30-40 AND I HAVE A RO UNIT WITH AUTO TOP OFF....PLEASE HELP.....HAVE A BAD PROBLEM WITH RED SLIME ALGEA :eek:

donato

Hey Stalyun,
I have also seen this problem with a film forming on the surface where the water isn't as agitated by the return outlet or powerheads. Feeding or even just having your hand in the aquarium will cause oils to accumulate. I recommend adjusting your water current to agitate the water surface in this area. This oily film can inhibit gas exchange and degrade your water quality. An oscillating powerhead in that area forcing the surface water down the over flow will give the skimmer a chance to remove it from the system ....also, make note to always wash your hands/arms when placing them in the tank!
Good luck! Hope this helps!
Oh..and welcome to the board!! :)
[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Donato ]

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Surface slicks are generally caused by bacteria die-off. Usually not much of a problem, except for looks. They do sell pre-filters for certain skimmers that supposedly addresses this. Some people just mob up the slick with a paper towel.

stalyun95

thanks for the info I DO HAVE THE RETURN PUMP AGITATING THE SURFACE ALONG WITH ANOTHER POWER HEAD SEEMS NOT TO MATTER.....THE FACT THAT IT SEEMS TO BE BACTERIA DIEING OFF IS A THOUGHT......MY HAMMER AND BUBBLE TIP RECENTLY TURNED WHITE WHATS THE REASONING... THANKS AGAIN

pufferlover

On a couple of my tanks where this happens I just take a open mouth container and skim the top water till I get the film out then add new water. The paper towel idea Beth mentioned will also work by dragging it along the top it will pick up the film also.

ocellaris_keeper

Wow! - My LPS showed me the same thing at their store and told me it is normal - appreciate the information and the towel trick sounds great.