Film on water surface

kodiak

I have a 85 gal with 120 lbs live rock and 60 lbs live sand bed with hermits snails galore with a cyclon skimmer and a 350 mag cannister filter two power heads. This is the issues I have a very thin algae like film on the surface of my water what is casing this and hwo can I get rid of it it is effecting my jbj lighting brightness in the tank!!!!!

xenia

I once had the same thing. I pointed one of the powerheads so there was a current at the top. That moved the green scum so the Mag could suck it up. I also used a brine shrimp net to skim it out.
Good Luck!
Xenia

katara

I definitley agree w/Xenia, just point your powerhead up a little bit and that will break up the water,worked for me..good luck.

Best way to get rid of this is get a sump with a over flow. This happened to me and when i installed the sump, the overflow took all that film away. Plus a sump would be a good idea anyway to get a few more gallons of water circulating through the tank.

B

bt_1999_66

Rule of thumb.....
If you can see film on the top, you probably do not have enough surface water movement....!
"Gas exchange"