Filter and lights

dallas03

I have a 55 gal. reef with just a basic hang over filter and was going to upgrade. My question is should i get a bio-wheel or a canister? i was gonna keep the hang over for extra flow.
Also do they make 18" lights that fit in standard fixtures with 60+ watts?

kjord97

if you are going to stick it out with a hang on tank filter, i suggest you use a CPR hang on tank refugium. I use the large 24" one and it works great. Canister filters will run the same price, but you have to take completely apart regualarly for cleaning. Plus the refugium is a great place to put some sand or mud, and grow some cheato algae or other macros.
24'' hang on tank CPR refugium runs about $100. comes with everything but a light for it. it will also increase your water capacity by 5 gals.

chipmaker

Do you have live rock? If you have sufficient live rock I would not worry about no filter and just use what yu have for current flow. The Aqua Clear HOB's work fine and a AC110 adds capacity as well as makes a mini fuge. A filter is not really needed if yu do have live rock, but a hob filter will provide a place to put carbon etc if needed as well as provide current.
Nope no such animal as an 18" 60 watt tube. However if your handy you can eaily fit a 55-65 watt PC in that standard light fixture. I convert the typical 20" striplights commonly included with tank setups to power compacts with a cooling fan for approx $26 not including the bulb.........
Back to filters if ya got live rock no need, and who wants to fool with a filter and have to clean it if its not necessary.......