Filter Cleaning

shep

I have a prefilter in my overflow keep medium size objects out of the overflow, and a filter before it goes to the sump. They both get an over abundace of algae that I cant seem to stop. The prefilter can be dried out and chipped of and washed and it stays gone for a long time. However the filer in the overflow will not come clean or give up its algae. I have done everything from air compressor to shop vack and it stays in there. Any ideas? A friend suggested clorox to clean it and flush it after it dried. This scares me a bit. Just wondering if anyone has ever dealt with this and if so how did ya fix it?

madd catt

They made good points buy a foam or whatever material that it is and if you want too kill your tank use bleach it does a good job, if not dont use it.

nm reef

Replacement of the pre-filters would be my choice. But bleach can be used to clean equipment...just insure its rinsed very well and I'd let it sun dry before putting it back in place. My understanding is bleach will rapidly degrade in direct sunlight.
I don't really understand why you'd want to clean the foam pre-filter in bleach though. I have sevceral foam/sponge pre-filters and each of them come clean fairly easy just by washing the off in fresh water. I remove/rinse/replace them all the time. Especially one on my skimmer and another on my return pump. :cool:

shep

I would replace it if I could find one like it...I will find a way to clean it . Maybe the blender will clean it out...:D

volitan

No algae will live in the absence of light. I have two prefilters for my tank. Every two weeks I swap them out. I remove one from the tank, rinse it with warm fresh water and store it in a dark drawer. Two weeks later, it goes back in the tank. This way, you won't have to keep buying new ones. This hobby is expensive enough as it is! HTH