Filter Question

tboone

I have a 55+ tank that I have been using for fish only for a year or two now and would like to get into corals. I have about 75 lbs of LR, over live sand and am using two Emperor filters and a Berlin turbo HOB skimmer. I have held off on corals until I could get better lighting.
My question concerns filters. I would like to get away from the hang on back filters just for aesthetic reasons, but my tank is not reef ready and I can't afford to start over there. Are any of the canister filters viable options that I could mount in the cabinet? If so, are there recommendations for brand and type? What about the Eheim Wet/Dry system? I know its not a canister, but is an enclosed wet/dry system and looks interesting.
Thanks very much.
Tim

slick

Why not just add more ls to get a 4-6 inch DSB. You already have 75lbs of lr in a 55g so you have plenty there. With your rock and a DSB plus your skimmer you should be fine. You could also just ad a small fuge under your tank to help.

tboone

Thanks, Slick. That is sort of what I was thinking but I'm still learning about reef tanks and didn't know what kind of filters I should keep. I will have a few fish and inverts in the tank as well. Not sure if that makes a difference on whether to run some type of mechanical filtration or not. Thanks again for your help.
Tim

slick

You should be alright as long as you don't overload the tank. Plus you can run a small bio wheel filter on the fuge if you want.